14

Chapter 14

''I don't even know what leadership you would use, what kind of government would you build up?'' Carter says as he studies me from across the table and his notes still blank.

''That's for you to find out.'' I simply remark and keep writing notes about Carter.

''Hm, well you got a cross around your neck and now when I think about you Wrights always did go to Sunday church, Hierocracy perhaps?'' Carter proudly says and I give him a weird look.

''Hierocracy because I wear a cross and I go to church on Sundays? Are you kidding me?'' I ask in disbelief, I know he was one of the top students in high school, not only high school, middle school too, there is no way this stupid comment has any seriousness to it.

''I'm kidding, chill out.'' He answers and lightly chuckles.

''The professor said there is a price for the best presentation and I really want to win it and get a good grade, can you try to at least get some work done Carter?'' I say and turn my gaze to my 'partner'.

''What are you even writing down? What can you possibly find out by just sitting and staring at me?'' Carter asks with one eyebrow raised.

''You can learn a lot about one person by just staring at them, but you're right. This isn't going to be enough.'' I agree with him if I'm going to get a good grade I need to do a little more than just staring.

''Get your things, I have got an idea.'' Carter says as he stands up and grabs his textbook.

''Where are we going? And what are we going to do?'' I ask not moving an inch, I don't trust him a bit.

''Getting a good grade 'officer', now will you come with me?'' He pushes and I give in and grab my things. What could possibly go wrong? With him, everything.

The walk to the parking lot was quiet but not awkward quiet, comfortable quiet, and that is weird because being around him should make me feel uncomfortable not the opposite. The fact that Carter is in some way always present is feeling less and less hard and weird as every day passes and I don't know how to feel about that. 

His million dollar Mercedes Benz is in reach and I wonder how someone can put so much money in a car, but at the same time if you are that fortunate then why not? If I were to ever be rich I would give a lot of money to the people I love as well as I would donate to different charities, helping people is something I have always loved to do. I wonder if his stone cold heart would ever consider helping others but himself and his family.

Carter unlocks the car and we get in and it looks as rich inside as it does on the outside. Wow, what a beautiful car, I wonder how it would feel to drive it. When I got my driver license and had been driving for a year dad took me to racing events, we would bet on who we thought would win. The winner got to drive one of the racer cars while the loser would sit on the bench and watch, I sat on the bench every time. My dad has an eye for those kinds of things, I don't, being the sore loser I am dad would still let me drive. I miss those times, I miss home, I really need to talk to Gale about paying a visit home.

Turning my head and eyeing Carter while he is driving and thinking to myself what my parents would think if they knew what I was doing right now. They sure wouldn't be happy about this situation, and to my defense it's not like we are doing this for great fun, it's because of our history class and the assignment we're doing together, nothing more nothing less. 

''What are you frowning about?'' Carter asks turning his attention from the road towards me with his scarred eyebrow slightly raised. 

''Nothing.'' I answer, not wanting to Initiate a longer conversation than needed, only school talk and that's it.