Chapter 1

When I get stressed out, I run. Not the quick run around the neighborhood. I pack the the small amount of belongings I have, throw it in the bed of my truck and run somewhere new, somewhere where my problems don’t exist. You would think it would be hard for a seventeen year old girl to leave, but for me it was the easiest thing there was. My father was never home and my step-mother abused me every time she saw me at the house. I had bruises, cuts and scars all over my body. I wore long sleeved shirts, pants and thick foundation to hide the marks. I only had one friend, or at least I thought I did. All it took was less than five minutes. That’s what it took for my messed up world to finally explode. The only person I trusted, Max Robinson, was talking about me with the popular kids. It wasn’t things you would expect your best friend to say about. A tear escaped my eye and I quickly wiped it away. "Thanks. Thanks for caring about me enough to talk shit about me behind my back. Thanks, for being dumb enough to think karma wouldn’t come and bite you in the ass." I said loud enough for him to hear me and draw his attention. "Zo, it’s not what it looks like. You know I wouldn’t do that to you," he replied, grabbing my arm. "Yeah. You just proved I don’t know you, so go back to your friends that will dump your ass in seconds. And tell me how the situation looks now," with those words my fist swung and hit his eye. He went to grab for for me again but I stopped him with me words. "Touch me again, and I won’t be as nice as I was the first time around." With that I ran to my truck and drove straight for the house. I ran to my room and got what little I needed, wrote a quick note and ran. Destination? Anywhere away from the place I called Hell.

*******************************

My mother had lost custody of me when I was young, and I had to live with my father. Not ong after I moved in, he met and married my wicked step-mother. I hate her with a passion, she constantly abused me, whether it was verbal or physical. She had some sick enjoyment of watching me suffer, I could never understand why, though. I had taught myself never to show emotion in front of anyone, but Max that is. Max Robinson had been the only person I had gotten close to. He was the only one I ever talked to, he had always been there for me. Or so I thought. His words from this morning kept repeating in my head, burning my brain. I thought that maybe at least one person cared about me. Stupid me. I fell for all his stupid lies, thinking that maybe I wasn't alone, guess I was wrong.

Thoughts of driving my truck off a cliff ran through my mind. Nobody would miss me if I was gone, nobody put up a fight when I left the place that has been my personal Hell for the past nine years. Nobody would miss me if I left this world, in fact some would probably celebrate it, hoping they I suffered from a lot of pain before death actually consumed me. I was simply a nobody, a waste of space, time and air.

I can't do it though, I can't let them win. Even if I was always stayed in the background, with no signifigance, they wouldn't win. Now, I was on my own, anything and everything could happen. I could be anybody I chose, my past would stay in the past. I kept driving, the farther away from there I could get the better. I knew I would have to quickly stop somewhere to buy what I would need. I was a run-away, nobody would miss me, but they wanted attention and would have to play the distressed parents when they reported me missing.

I quickly pulled into an old, run down store. Getting out I grabbed my keys and wallet. Walking in I found some red hair dye, and the essential make-up, then grabbed a bag of chips and got a slushy from the slushy machine. I walked up to the counter, the elderly man was stocky, for his age. I kept my head down as he scanned my items. "Run-away, are you?" His voice was gruff and had a thick southern accent. "Hmm?" I kept my reply vague, hoping that he wouldn't call the police. "Darlin', you're in the middle of no where buying hair dye and make-up. You're not from around here either, so either you're a run-away or you are a criminal." Oh my god, he was going to call the cops, I would have to go back to that dreaded place. "U-um, I-I..." I didn'y know what to say. "It's okay, I won't tell anyone. You've got a reason, and it's not my place to judge, I've been in your shoes before." I looked up and my eyes widened in surprise. He wouldn't tell anyone? He's been in my shoes? "W-what do you mean you've been in my shoes before?" I questioned cautiously, not knowing what to expect and not really used to normal conversation. "I ran away when I was about your age, I didn't like my parents, so I left. I know you'll need a place to sleep, if you want I have a spare room at my house. It won't cost you anything and you can eat dinner with my wife and I," sincerity shown bright in his eyes. I was still wary but I knew it would be best, just for tonight. "Yes sir, I would like that, just as long as I won't disturb you or you wife and just for tonight. I would hate to bother you more than I already am," my voice was small, it sounded almost as if a child had spoken. "Please, call me Dan, and it would be our pleasure. I'm getting ready to close up shop for the day, then you can follow me back to my place." I simply nodded in agreement.