Chapter 16

"Paaaaattycaaaaakes!" Pete sang to me through my hotel door, appearing to be in a very good mood, giddy almost. It surprised me, but I wasn't going to complain or question it because a happy Pete is the best Pete.

        "Whaaatt?" I asked, dragging out the word much like he did but feigning annoyance rather than singing as I opened the door to see him standing on the other side with a smile a mile wide and his hands hooked behind his back as if he were either hiding something or an excited child trying to contain himself.

        He frowned at my tone, but the smile quickly returned when he realized I was only teasing. "I'm taking you on a date. Right now. Let's go," he told me, grabbing my arm and attempting to pull me out the door.

        "Pete, I'm in my pajamas," I told him, holding back laughter. Whatever had gotten into him was like an energy shot. I hadn't seen him like this for a couple years, maybe longer. He wasn't exactly hyper, just happy. That was back when we were touring for Cork Tree and it lasted about a month, I think, although if I remember correctly, it didn't have a good ending and there were bad tinges, but maybe this was something different. Maybe he was just in a good mood.

        "Fine, go change but be quick. I have dinner reservations for us in 30 minutes."

        He waited outside my door like a lost puppy until I emerged a couple minutes later, having changed into real clothes including a fedora. Pete shot me a quick smile before looping our arms together and leading us down the hall.

        "So where're we going?" I asked him as we walked, glancing over at him as he pressed the button to bring the elevator to us.

        "It's a surprise," he told me with a smirk, knowing that it would drive me crazy.

        "Oh c'mon! That's not fair," I whined, amusement audible in my voice.

      "I never claimed to play fair," he said, the same smirk still curving his lips before he leaned down to peck me on the lips, just a quick one but caring nonetheless.

        This man will be the death of me.

        We caught a cab to a restaurant I didn't quite catch the name of - something that started with an R - and were greeted by well-dressed patrons, better dressed employees, and candles as the predominant light source with classical music softly playing in the background. I instantly felt like Pete and I were under dressed but there wasn't much I could do about it now.

        The hostess shot us look that said Really? You're wearing that?

        "Reservations for Wentz," he told her and her look immediately changed from disapproving to eager. Being in a fairly famous band had it's perks, I guess.

        She seated us at a table set for two over in one of the corners. It almost felt secluded and it was most definitely nice. She placed a menu at each seat before walking away.

        I went to sit down but Pete stopped me, pulling out my chair for me before he would let me sit. Shooting him an amused smile, I sat down, watching him move around the table and fall into his seat.

        "So I finally got around to taking you on our first date," he told me with a grin, like he was proud of himself.

        I couldn't help but return it as I responded. "So I noticed," I said as I glanced around the large room with high ceilings and dark walls. "It's a nice restaurant, you look nice, seem interested, got us a table away from the window...Shows you have faith in the relationship," I joked, pretending to analyze the entire situation.