Chapter Two-Two Steps Forward

(Quick Author's note: Thank you for reading my story, I will be releasing more chapters very soon and in the mean time I hope you enjoy the two chapters currently released. In this chapter you learn more about Jasmine and some insight into how Avery talks and acts.)

As the fragrance of coffee beans lift from the air it feels like the weight of closing perfectly as well. I need to make sure my closes are always right, always perfect. I grab the door key and do a last quick check for my surroundings: tables and chair stacked? Check. Bench clean? Check. Coffee machine turned off? Not yet, I'll do that last. After checking off some more task I walk to the coffee machine ready to turn it off but before I can flip the off switch, a familiar girl's voice calls, "Hey, you still open?" I look up to see a girl with light brown hair a large smile and a white shirt with black and white monotonous floral leggings with white Converses standing at the cafe front glass door. "I mean, I can be open." I answer with a wide cheerful smile. "Perfect," she replies stepping through the glass doors, "I'll get a caramel latter in that case."

After making the caramel latter, I turn off the coffee machine, flipping the switch and turn to the security system putting in the code and quickly exiting before the alarm goes off and alerts everyone in Manhattan including my boss.

I turn to Avery, coffee in hand as she says, less suggesting and more stating, "Let's go for a walk." I agree and we begin to walk for a while making simple small talk. We conversate over the florist, the coffee shop and what's been happening these past few days. Simple small talk.

Walking through a park, we come across a fairly large lake with yellow glow of street lights shimmering on the wind rippled waters. We continue walking until we spot a wooden park bench dimly lit by moth drawn street lights. We take a seat on the seemingly rustic bench and Avery stares out into the water in silence. My eyes drawn to her oblivious ones, I notice the reflection of the lamp sitting high above us in her emerald shaded eyes. I notice the lamps dim shine makes Avery's olive skin glow. Her eyes catch mine and she turns her head to me, shooting me a smile containing a much warmer glow than the lamp. She looks out again, still smiling. Such a genuine smile. "So how do you know Alex?" she asks out of nowhere. I raise an eyebrow in complete confusion. "I saw that you two follow each other and comment on literally every photo of each other's."

"Oh, right." I retort with the confusion I had just felt slowly fading away, "He used to work at the cafe, and he quit a while ago."

"Ah, right, that makes sense." She replies.

"What about you?" I question, "How do you know Alex?"

"We went to school together."

"Fair enough."

"Yup," she says jumping out of the bench, "wanna keep walking?"

"Sure," I reply bringing myself to my feet.

The breeze begins to pick up as we begin to walk again, sending a cool chill down my spine. "Jasmine, are you working tomorrow?" She asks out of nowhere once again. "No, I'm not." I reply, "Also, just Jazz is fine." I add.

"Sure thing," a long pause, "Jazz." She says turning to me with a smile and laughing a little. "Well, I was thinking we should go out tomorrow. You, me, Alex and my other friend." She pauses, then continues once again, "We should do karaoke, grab a few drinks. What do you think?" She questions.

"Maybe," I answer contemplating.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Wait, what?" I say quickly, "How does that make 'yes'?"

"Well, not gonna lie, I wasn't really going to leave it up for debate so..." She returns her voice droning off towards the end.

"So, it's a yes?"