26

When disaster strikes the time to prepare has already passed.

-

Charlie groaned in frustration as her call to David went to voicemail again. The automated voice told her once again that he wasn't available and to leave a message at the tone.

"David I need you to stop being a little bitch for like five fucking minutes and call me back- or answer my texts or something. I told you not to leave that party without talking me which is exactly what you did and now you're acting like I don't exist and it's- it's been two days now.

"I went your house yesterday morning after the party to talk to you and you weren't there, I guess you spent the night at Jason's or something, I don't know."

Charlie let out a weary sigh. She looked down at her lap while her free hand played with the hem of her shirt.

"This is stupid okay. I don't want to fight, and we wouldn't be if you would just listen to what I have to say. Or even read it because I explained what I meant in all those texts I sent that you aren't opening.

"I'm not- what I meant to say back at the party was that we were talking about fake dating for the press, Tom and I. It- look it wasn't even our idea okay it was his managers', he and Devyn thought it could solve our problems with the fans and press. Even you have to admit that things have gotten a little out of control. But David I-"

Charlie swallowed harshly, leaning back against the couch.

"I was never gonna go through with it. I'd never- I wouldn't do that knowing how you-" she paused and cleared her throat, face heating up as blood rushed to it. "Just call me back. Please? I- I miss talking to you."

Charlie said a quiet goodbye and ended the message. Right as she did so, a notification popped up on her screen saying that Zane posted a new video.

She ignored it and threw her phone down on the couch, picking up her mug of coffee and opening her script back up to where she'd left off.

The revised and final script for Infinity War had come in the mail for her last week, or at least, parts of it had.

Because the Russo brothers and everyone else involved in higher up production didn't want spoilers to accidentally be released, they decided to give every cast member the sections of the script they were in, and no more than just that.

It made for an interesting read because a lot of it made no sense from lack of context. But Charlie went ahead with trying to memorize her parts, knowing it would make sense in good time.

Her phone started ringing and Charlie startled at the sudden noise. Coffee from her mug sloshed over the rim and onto her hand, splattering onto her shirt and lap.

"Great," she grumbled, reaching forward and putting the mug down on the coffee table. She wiped her hand against her shirt to dry it while glancing at the caller ID.

Her heart skipped a beat because at first glance she thought it was David, but as Charlie picked it up to answer she realized it was only Devyn.

"What?" Charlie asked shortly, putting the phone up to her ear. She moved the script off her and drew her knees to her chest, hugging them loosely.

"Charlie why the fuck do you insist on making my job so damn difficult," Devyn's very pissed off voice echoed out loudly.

Charlie winced and pulled the phone away from her ear, putting it on speaker so she wouldn't go deaf. "Huh?"

"I don't want to hear anymore shit from now on about how annoying the press is being with this fucking love triangle shit you have going on. Okay? I offered you a way to fix it and you didn't want to try it which is fine whatever I sort of get it- but then you go and pull this shit? You could've at least told me so I'd be ready when the story broke. If not as your manager then as your fucking friend Charlie."