08

People fall in love in mysterious ways. You could have a completely, unadulterated, platonic relationship with a person and then in the blink of an eye, it could all change. They could tell you a joke, brush their shoulder against yours, or even look at you in a slightly different way than usual.

And with that look, that one simple look or brush of shoulders, the whole foundation of the relationship could change.

In David's case, the sign he noticed when he began to gain feelings for a person was just how easy it was to get jealous over the attention they gave others. The attention which he craved to be on the receiving end of.

-

David winced and rubbed his eye as something foreign flew into it before falling onto his lap. "Ow, what the hell?" he grumbled, picking up the piece of popcorn that almost blinded him.

Laughter rang out around him as commercials from the TV blared from the overhead speakers in his living room.

"You zoned out again," Alex said, leaning forward to pick up a piece of pizza from the infamous coffee table in front of him. "It was the only way to get your attention."

"Sorry," David mumbled. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I'm just a little out of it today I guess."

Jason snorted. "A little? David it's the third quarter and you've spent the last hour and a half staring blankly at the wall."

"Yea did you eat one of those brownies on the dresser in my room?" Durte Dom asked, tilting his head to the side with wide eyes.

David quirked an eyebrow and shook his head. "No," he trailed off.

His friend sighed in what sounded like relief. "Good."

This elected a laugh from everyone in the room causing David to smile. He grabbed a piece of pizza and took a bite of it, leaning backwards into the couch he was sitting on as the commercial break ended and the basketball game came back on.

David tried to pay attention, really he did. But this time it wasn't his fault that he couldn't focus on the game. It was Gabbie's fault because her gaze was burning metaphorical holes into the side of his head.

By the time he'd finished devouring his pizza, David had had enough. He whipped his head to the side and looked right at her. "Gabbie why are you staring at me like you're trying to see into my dam soul."

All attention left the basketball immediately. Gabbie pursed her lips as David continued to look at her expectantly. "Well?"

She shook her head and took a long drawn out sip of her Hint water. "It's nothing. I was just trying to figure out why you were acting so weird."

"Just because I zoned out a few times doesn't mean somethings up."

Gabbie scoffed. "Okay sure David," she retorted rolling her eyes. "And I don't almost get killed once a month by an Uber."

The room once again erupted into laughter though it was drowned out by cheers coming from the basketball game on TV, now long forgotten.

"Alright Gabbie the all-knowing," David started using finger quotations for emphasis. "Why am I acting weird?"

She ran a hand through her purple hair and rested her feet on the coffee table, leaning backwards onto the couch. "You miss Charlie. That's why."

David felt the blood rush to his cheeks at the insinuation. His friends all began to snicker at his expense while his cheeks turned a rosy pink.

He began to shake his head in an attempt to deny what Gabbie was saying. "No I don't. I saw her a few days ago."

"Yea and this is the first time in what like 2 months you've gone more than two days without seeing her?" Gabbie argued. "I'm telling you it's not a coincidence that you get all depressed when she's not here."