Chapter 13

He froze mid-way down her chest, trying to process what he had just heard.

He raised his head to look at her. Her eyes were wide, just as his probably were. Apparently she was just as surprised to hear those words come out of her mouth as he was.

But that didn't matter.

She loves me.

She couldn't...could she? Obviously she felt something otherwise she wouldn't have been reciprocating to his amorous ministrations so zealously, but love? He'd dared not hope.

Now what?

The implications of their current position slowly dawned on him. They were on a couch, half-clothed. He was lying on top of her. One hand was up her shorts, the other was apparently in the middle of trying to undo her bra. His head was over her chest. Her hands were stretched above her head. Had he put them there? He couldn't remember.

They'd been making out – heavily, almost ferociously. And they'd been about to do a hell of a lot more than that.

He abruptly removed himself from her person and sat at the end of the couch. He had to think this through logically and he couldn't do that whilst lying upon a half-naked Tenten.

So...he loved her and she loved him. That certainly explained why they'd been doing what they'd been doing.

But...she loved him?

He looked at her. She was sitting with her knees drawn to her chest, looking confused and thoroughly kissed.

"You love me?" His voice was hoarse from passion. She didn't seem to notice.

She shut her eyes and rested her forehead against her knees, nodding against them – confirmation. Sweet, liberating, crushing confirmation.

She loved him.

She loved him.

The lightest feeling Neji had ever experienced settled in his chest. His heart started racing and his thoughts started muddling together. He hadn't thought it possible, but she did and...

"How long?" he asked, trying to keep the excitement from his voice.

Tenten raised her head from her knees but did not look at him. "About a week or so before the mission."

Neji gaped. He'd never gaped in his entire life - it was unseemly and ill bred. But he gaped then.

Since before the mission? That meant all that time, that kiss, those months...she'd loved him through it all. He couldn't fathom it.

So then...now what?
————————————————————
She wanted to die. She'd thought she'd wanted to die a few times those past few months, but this time she actually did. Like, really.

She'd told Neji she loved him in the middle of an intense make out session that she didn't even understand and now he was looking at her as though she had two heads, or as though she'd told him she loved him. Which she had.

Where is some poison when you need it?

She had a knife in her shoe. That'd work. No wait, her shoes were at the front door. Roadblock.

She chanced a look at Neji. He seemed to be thinking. It seemed strange that he was thinking. She'd seen him thinking too many times to count – it was like his default state – but it didn't suit him now. His hair was mussed, he was shirtless, and he sported faint scratches – dear gods above, her scratches – that marred the pale skin of his back. All signs pointed to a full on make out session. Normal people didn't usually have intense thinking sessions after making out...did they?