Chapter 10

Apprehension gnawed at Tenten's insides as she stood outside the door of the Hokage's office. It was ridiculous because she didn't think she was in trouble (she'd spent the entire walk over turning that possibility over in her mind and hadn't come up with anything to be in trouble for) so there was no reason she should be worried. She felt like she was back in the Academy and the Headmaster had called her to his office. It didn't matter whether or not she'd done something wrong, she still got nervous.

"Come in!" the Hokage yelled from behind the closed doors.

Tenten passed the two ANBU guards on either side of the double doors and entered the Hokage's office. She felt small and insignificant, like nothing she'd ever do could possibly be worth the Hokage's time. She was but one shinobi – an unimportant one at that.

And her team wasn't with her. She'd never been the in the Hokage's office alone. Then again, Neji's presence at that moment would hardly make her relax.

"Ah, Tenten! You're here!" the Hokage was cheerful, which seemed out of character, and breathless as if she'd just been laughing.

Tenten inclined her head respectfully in reply before she turned her gaze towards the man sitting next to the Hokage.

He appeared middle-aged but was still attractive in a hard, ruthless sort of way. Something about his features seemed strangely familiar, though she knew as a certainty that she had never seen him before. She'd remember a man with such a compelling presence. But there was something about those eyes…

"Tenten, I would like you to meet Yuraka Masuma. He was just telling me the story of how you seduced his son."

Tenten could have sworn her heart dropped all the way to her stomach. That's what it felt like.

"H-How nice to meet your, sir," Tenten stammered out. It was a miracle she had found her voice at all.

Masuma gave her a not-so-subtle once over and she tried not to squirm. She was hopelessly unsuccessful.

"I was expecting a bit more."

Yes, of course he was. Tenten had never felt more like an insignificant blob of nothingness as she did at that moment. She wished she'd made some effort towards her appearance but alas, she was in her regular clothes with no make-up, her hair tied into a casual ponytail at her nape. She was sure she looked as plain as a bag of flour.

"Tyran usually goes for the great beauties," he continued. Wasn't it nice to find a man who spoke his mind? Yes, so very nice indeed.

"Ah, but one can look worlds different with a bit of makeup and a nice dress," the Hokage countered. However, Tenten could not take comfort in her defence. It was like they were discussing a sheep. She was the sheep. She didn't like sheep.

"That is true…"

Then the Hokage and Masuma spent the next five minutes discussing the difference clothes and make up made while Tenten stood there, unable to interrupt and unable to leave. It was a vaguely vexing position and hardly helped the insignificant blob feeling.

The Hokage finally seemed to remember Tenten's presence. "Oh, Tenten! Forgot you were there!"

Yes, of course she had.

"All arguments of appearance aside, I summoned you here to discuss the results of your mission. I won't bother apologizing for taking so long to get around to it because you know I have much more pressing matters to attend to."

Tenten opened her mouth to reply when a thought struck her - a thought that should have struck her as soon as she'd walked in the room.

"Masuma? Isn't he the merchant I was supposed to garner information on?"