Chapter 2- The Reaping

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2- The Reaping

I woke up at the crack of dawn like I always do. Today was different though, it was the day of the reaping. Nobody has to work today in order for parents to spend time with children who may be competing in the games.

I quietly detached myself from Heather who seemed to have a death grip on me and walked over to a large basin of water on the other side of the room. Stepping into the basin, I started to wash the grime from previous days work from my body and hair.

When I was clean, I stepped out of the basin and dried myself off. I put on the dress that I had laid out on the bed for the reaping. It was a little big since it is supposed to last a few years. The dress is a very pale blue and is short sleeved. Moving on to my hair, I ran my fingers through the knots until it lay slightly damp and knot free around my shoulders.

"You look beautiful," my mom said. I could tell she was trying to hide tears but I pretended I didn't notice.

"We should probably should get everyone up and ready," I said while walking over to Heather and gently shaking her. Heather's light brown eyes fluttered open. She leaned forward and hugged me then said, "Don't leave."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?"

I didn't want to promise her something that I may not be able to keep. "We should get you ready," I said avoiding answering her.

I helped mom get Heather and my other siblings ready. They were all dressed in the standard work clothing that everyone receives.

Breakfast was one roll each of our grainy district bread. We sat in silence just enjoying each others company before we had to go down to the reaping.

"We should probably get going," Mom said after each crumb had been devoured. I grabbed Heather's hand and we walked glued to each other's side until I had to go sign in. I hugged her, all my other siblings and mom before I lined up behind kids ranging from twelve to eighteen.

The peacekeeper held out his hand and I placed mine in his. He pricked my index finger and pushed it down on the piece of paper then motioned for me to join the other twelve year old girls.

I didn't look at anybody since I knew that two of them will be thrown into a fight to the death. I decided to stare out into the crops where tomorrow I will probably be working again.

Before I knew it, everyone was in their designated areas and a woman with a bright orange wig walked up onto the stage. She looked extra bright against all of District 11's dull clothes. The woman began a short speech and after she finished we watched a video. Nobody really paid attention to the video or the speech.

The woman then began to talk again after the video, "May the odds be ever in your favor. Now ladies first," the woman's heels clicked as she walked over to the bowl filled with all the females who had been entered. Her hand plunged into the bowl and the butterflies in my stomach fluttered around crazily.

"And the female tribute is, Rue-," my ears started ringing. Of all the names that could have been chosen, mine had to be the one picked. My legs moved without me guiding them. The whole crowd had gone silent like they always do when a twelve year old is picked.

Climbing up the stairs I turned my head and saw tears streaming from Heather's eyes. Mom was holding in tears for the sake of my siblings but you could see her knees and hands shaking.

Through the ringing in my ears I remember hearing Thresh being called as the male tribute. The next thing I remember was being marshalled to the Justice Building by Peacekeepers. I was sitting on a small worn down couch when my mother and the rest of my family burst through the door.

Pulling Heather onto my lap I hugged her close to me. This is the probably the last time I will hug her. My other siblings and mother hugged me close too. I looked at mom and whispered to her "Don't let them forget me, especially Heather."

Mom nodded then pulled her necklace off. It was woven out of grass fibers and had a wooden star attached. She pressed it into the palm of my hand then whispered in my ear, "For good luck."

The Peacekeepers then burst into the door and escorted my family out. Mom had to pry Heather off of me while she kicked and screamed which brought on another round of tears.

"Don't forget me," I whispered as I was escorted to the train and I got my last glimpse of my home.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N--Poor Rue! I really hate how she has to die! Please leave some constructive critisism and tell me what you think!

Comment-Vote-Fan

~Melody :)