twelve - the games we play

song - Need You Now by Dean Lewis

~"I just need you talking next to me when I wake up, wake up
Talking next to me when I wake up next to you
When I'm hungover too
Because you're the only one who comes when I'm lonely
You're the only one who comes when I'm lonely for you
When I'm lonely for you"~

Finn sat at his window the next day, refusing to leave his room to eat or see anyone. Kelly dropped by every so often to make sure that he didn't need anything, but he simply shook his head with a polite smile. He had a strange kind of anger simmering through his bones, he would get furious at the smallest thing and felt like he was was on the edge of a very thin rope that was about to snap at any moment. He watched the sky fade from a cloudy grey sky to a contrast of bright orange and pinks, the golden light reflecting on his pale skin to give the illusion that he had been bathing in sunlight for days. 

He ignored every hesitant tap on his door, hearing Millie sigh sadly when he wouldn't say a word. She wasn't sure if she had done something wrong but he did not have the energy to argue with her, knowing that he was a ticking time bomb. 

When he heard yelling outside of his room, he shot up from his window seat with furrowed eyebrows. He stepped forward carefully, pressing his ear against the door and frowning when he heard yelling and occasional whimpers. Millie sounded like she was pleading, her voice high-pitched and full of desperation and her father's was cold as usual, like he wasn't messing around. Finn had never heard him raise his voice and it made him freeze lightly, him feeling bad that Millie had to usually be the one to hear it. He opened the door a crack and his heart felt heavy at the scene before him.

"Father, please!" she begged. "I promise he won't be anymore trouble, I will talk to him and make sure that he stays out of your way-"

Robert huffed. "I already told you that I didn't want you near him. You have already disobeyed me, the maid told me that she saw you hanging around his room all of last week. I told you that I don't want you to look at him, let alone talk to him."

"Her name is Lucy" Millie spoke up innocently. 

"What?"

"The maid is called Lucy.." she gulped as he stepped closer. 

"Do you think I care?" he snapped. "I don't care what her name is, but the point is that you went against your word. I don't trust him in my house, ever since he has arrived things have been weird, like he is watching over all of us. I told you, I want him gone...I am going to speak to your mother about it today."

Millie cried out desperately. "She will never agree! She told me that he is polite and doesn't make any mess and-"

"It isn't down to either of you" he sneered. "It is my damn house, and both of you need to understand that. If I want to kick him out, then he is gone. I don't care what you say."

"P-Please" her voice turned shaky. 

Robert tried to push past her but she tried to stand in the way of the door, pressing her body against it so that he couldn't get past. Robert leaned down closely, raising his eyebrows as if to warn her that something bad would happen to her if she didn't move. Millie tried to seem confident, but her lip shook slightly and she gulped quietly as he tilted his head once, gesturing for her to move out of the way. She hesitantly moved away, not ready to deal with his wrath if she couldn't help it. He pushed past her quickly, his heavy breathing fading down the hallway as she held back tears. 

Finn opened his door further, his voice tight. "Millie?"

She looked up at him reluctantly, her eyes filled with fearful tears. His face fell and his gaze softened, his eyes casting downwards as he opened his door further as an invitation. They both stood silent for a few moments until Millie sniffed, wiping her tears away with her long sleeve as she shuffled into his room.