three - missed opportunity

When Finn woke up the next morning, he had expected to see the normal plain walls of his room in the agent training center. But when he saw the royal blue drapes and expensive paintings around the wall, he groaned and fell back down onto the bed with a sigh. 

He knew that he had to get started on his mission quickly, finding himself not enjoying the glamorous surroundings like he thought he would. Maybe it just reminded him of the childhood that he never had, Millie may not have had a good and honest father, but at least she lived comfortably unlike Finn did before The Boss took him in. Finn should have been grateful, but underneath it all he just wished that he grew up normally with a normal occupation which didn't mean getting his hands covered in blood every once in a while. 

"Finn?" a soft voice came from his door, and he heard Kelly Brown knock on the door with a kind smile. He plastered on a kind smile and rubbed the side of his face, making sure that she noticed his wince and looked even more worried. "How did you sleep?"

"Good, thank you" he told her kindly, "...better than I have done in a while."

Kelly sighed. "Do you have a contact number for your parents? Did they leave anything for you when they..." she broke off sadly. 

"No" Finn replied weakly, "...they didn't leave anything, just told me that I wasn't good enough. I-I always knew that I was a bit of a handful but I guess I just hoped that things would turn out differently...things were good for a while, you know?"

She rubbed his shoulder with an apologetic smile. "Well, you can stay for as long as you need. Don't hesitate to ask for anything, I would be more than happy to help you, we all would."

Finn raised an eyebrow tactfully. "Even Mr Brown? He doesn't seem to be very happy with me staying here...is it something I did?"

Kelly shook her head with a sad frown, "Don't take it personally, sweetheart. Robert is just protective over his family, especially Millie. But he will come around in no time, I promise you. For now, lets just focus on you getting healed and fed properly. You are practically a stick!"

Finn chuckled. "I've always been quite thin...guess it is because of how tall I am."

Kelly laughed gently. "I'll get you some breakfast brought up."

"Thank you, Mrs Brown."

"I told you" she insisted with a teasing smile, "...call me Kelly."

After she left, Finn collapsed down on the bed with a sigh. He was getting tired of keeping up his innocent boy act and wondered how long he would need to keep this up. With just a glance out of the large window to the left of his bed, he saw how many cameras were around the front gate. He would need to complete the job inside but Robert was hardly ever left alone by the looks of it, with Kelly or Millie always by his side if he wasn't looked up inside his office. 

Finn checked around the hallway carefully to make sure the coast was clear before heading down the stairs after he put some more clothes on from the huge wardrobe. Before he left, he managed to tuck his trust pistol into the back of his jeans, covering it up with a larger jumper as he walked down to the door that was kept locked. As he walked down the stairs, he noticed Robert's familiar voice from the living room, the man sitting on the phone as he sat comfortably on the sofa, laughing about some fake business deal that was most likely a cover up for what was really going on. 

He tilted his head, wondering how a man that was so protective of his family had managed to let a secret angel inside his house to kill him without even having him checked out or searched. Finn had expected to be patted down, to have someone find his gun and shoot him in the spine before he could complete the mission. But Robert Brown may have been just as stupid as he looked in the end.