fourteen - you are the reason

song - You Are The Reason by Calum Scott

~"If I could turn back the clockI'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day
Keeping you safe
And I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken"~

Finn couldn't sleep all night, wondering what he was going to do or if there even was anything that he could do. When Millie asked him to go with her excitedly, he wanted to scoff in her face and tell her that it was the last thing that he wanted. But deep down, he knew that he had no choice in the matter and that it didn't even matter if he went to the Gala or not. The Boss had explained that they had hired a sniper from a good distance to take Millie out, that he was supposed to keep her in a specific place all night where everyone would see her collapse to the ground. Finn knew that there was nothing that he could do to protect her. 

The Gala was in full swing, with Finn uncomfortable tuxedo that Kelly had helped to get for him, teaching him about what would happen at the event. She smiled at him reassuringly from across the room, hanging onto Robert's arm as he droned on about his fake business plans. Finn's eyes scanned the room, tapping his feet impatiently at the champagne glasses and swirl of dresses around him on random women. 

As soon as he looked up at saw her, everything else paled into significance. 

Her hair was still a golden brown with streaks of blonde through it like the sunlight peaking through the trees, and her smile was still as bright as ever although nervous. She was dressed in a pink gown with small cream roses all over it, exposing her narrow shoulders and graceful arms, with small pink heels finishing the look so that he still towered above her small frame. His lips parted slightly as he scanned her, his mouth going dry as he tried to lick his lips to find some words. When her caramel eyes met his, looking like warm liquid sunshine, he lost all train of thought and knew that he was a goner. Finn didn't know how to look away and he didn't want to, everything else in the room was dim in comparison to the bright and beautiful girl that practically shone like the goddamn sun in front of him. 

"Hi" she giggled as she stood in front of him. "It's weird to see you so dressed up."

Finn blinked. 

Millie frowned slightly, waving a hand in front of his face as he stayed silent. "Finn? Is everything okay? You're not saying anything."

He shook out of his daze, his voice blunt. "I'm fine."

She looked down in disappointment, a hesitant smile on her face. "Oh..okay. I just wanted to check..these things kind of freak me out too. They are so crowded and I barely know anyone here, I doubt my parents do either."

Finn could barely hear her, too busy staring at the picture next to them. It was an ugly painting of a boat on the ocean, the one that The Boss told Finn to keep Millie standing in front of, a painting which the sniper could use as a target. He was supposed to wait for a signal and then push Millie in front of the painting, until she slipped through his fingers for good. Millie was droning on about how nervous she was and he wanted to listen to her, but every bone in his body was shaking with fear of what he would do when the time came. 

Every tick of the clock made his heart skip a beat, his knees bouncing nervously as he watched the minutes tick by until he could barely stand it. Millie stopped talking, watching him carefully as if she knew that something was wrong but she didn't know what she could do to help. Finn was trapped in his own personal hell, knowing that there was mere minutes until what would inevitably happen and that there was no way that he could stop it.