Chapter 8

Taehyung POV

Watching the girl take her seat across the table from me, I glance back down at my coffee sat on the table directly in front of me. Sighing quietly to myself, I glance back up at her, seeing just how unfazed she is by sitting with a stranger. Not that it bothers me, I couldn't really care less right now about that.

"What's your name?" I ask quietly, deciding it probably better that I make small talk with her. Besides, I'm fairly certain that anyone stuck in here could use that type of distraction occasionally.

She glances over at me, a mildly surprised look on her face as does, clearly not having expected me to say a word to her. She too sighs, looking down at the coffee cup in her hands before looking back up.

"Haru. What's yours?" She responds quietly, seeming to go along with my little unspoken idea as she looks back up at me with the tiniest of smiles.

"Taehyung. I've seen you around a little bit here, haven't I?" I answer, trying to keep things going without making them turn towards the one reason we're both here.

"Yeah, I've been a wandering the halls quite a bit lately." She answers softly, looking around the room silently. I bite my lip, nodding my head.

"So what's got you stuck here?" She questions quietly, finally glancing back over to me. I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"My mother. She's in for lung cancer. You?" I answer shortly, not particularly wanting to talk about the subject.

"My brother's been struggling with cancer as well. Only, he's dealing with losing his leg soon. The chemo hasn't been working as well as they were hoping it would." Haru explains. I frown, feeling the sympathy that I'm sure she doesn't need for her.

"How long have you been here for?" I ask, trying to avoid bringing up her brother as I'm sure she feels similarly about that topic as I do with my mother.

"A couple months now, I think. He's getting the operation done tomorrow though, so I won't be coming back here after the week is out. How's your mother doing?" She explains. I purse my lips, deciding it's a good time to be taking a drink my probably now lukewarm coffee.

"She's been here for about a month. But, I was told yesterday that she's probably only got a few more days left. So, I guess I probably won't be here come next week either." I answer quietly, looking around the room myself this time.

"So are you in college?" Haru asks, quickly changing the subject for us. I give her a small smile, nodding my head.

"Yeah, the one right here in town actually. I'm majoring in photography. You?" I answer, thankful for the subject change. She nods as well.

"I'm actually an art major there. In my second year." She informs me, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear before taking another sip of her coffee.

"I'm in my second year as well. I'm surprised I've not seen you around ever. I didn't realize the campus was that big." I tell her, thinking back to all the times that Yoongi and I ran into each other despite his architectural major. The thought immediately ruins my mood though, now regretting this whole topic altogether.

"I'm actually taking evening classes, I work part time at the grocery store on the other side of town." Haru explains with a smile. I just bite my lip, nodding my head as I stare down at my most likely now cold coffee.

"That probably explains why I've not seen you there then. Hey, I'm really sorry, but I should probably get back to my mother before she gets worried. We should definitely hangout more though, if you've got the time." I respond with a tiny smile. She simply nods her head, a small smile still on her lips.

"Understandable. I'll see you around, yeah?" She says as I stand up. I pause for a moment before nodding my head, deciding that I wouldn't mind having her as company. I know it's terrible, but it's a change of pace from Yoongi and it's also someone who can somewhat relate to the pain I'm going through right now at least a little bit. I can only hope that she can be a decent distraction for me from that beautiful and sweet dark brunette boy that I left.

Swallowing hard, I reluctantly exit the cafeteria and head towards my mother's room, tossing the coffee when I pass by a trash bin.

I just wish everything didn't have to be so hard and painful. So fucking confusing and twisted. It would make things so much easier and much better.