"Are you done ironing my clothes?" Jade asked trying not to snap. Who the young prince fell for was the least of her problems. She was standing in a grimy stall in her chemise and underskirt waiting for her clothes to be ironed so she could start with her day's work of job hunting.

"Here you go, miss," The younger girl handed Jade her clothes and Jade tried to wear them swiftly but her lack of experience with wearing her own clothes slowed her down. Her Abigail used to help her dress and undress so this aspect of clothing herself was new.

Once Jade was done she walked out towards her room but not before she heard the two servants tittle-tattling again.

"No luggage, no abigails, no father or husband to guard her; I've never 'eard of ladies being so independent."

"Either she's one of those kind of ladies or she's a runaway. Can't tell these days."

"Aye."

Jade paused a moment longer to regain her composure. She then walked out with her head held high.

This was the third day out of her home and she was having no luck finding stable shelter or employment. Jade crossed out her last job listing in the Daily Herald. The last opening she had applied was for a governess and Jade was pleased that she was suitable for the job. Her rudimentary Latin and French were impeccable and her Arithmetic knowledge was solid so Jade for the first time in days was feeling optimistic but unfortunately what she lacked was a reference letter. Without a letter from a previous employer no respectable household would hire a new tutor or governess for their precious offspring.

Jade turned a corner in a bad mood when she was suddenly confronted with a group of people crowding the road.

"Gently, my dear, we wouldn't want to break it," The voice startled her from her thoughts and Jade wondered what possibly could be going on in the middle of the circle of people. Middle class men and women; merchants from the surrounding shops were chattering excitedly and a regal barouche was standing at the edge of the pavement.

"Look, it doesn't fit," Someone very near the middle yelled.

"Anyone else who fits the Prince's criteria?" Another voice announced.

Jade stood at the very edge of the group and even with her height was unsuccessful at finding out what was happening. As she finally decided that trying to peer in was no good someone next to her started to bounce on the balls of his feet.

"We have a suitable lady right here!" The merchant couldn't have been louder. Jade was rubbing her ear when she realized everyone was now staring at her.

"You do, well, send her in," The voice called out.

The crowd parted just for her.

"Me, I-" Jade felt humiliated under the scrutiny. She tried to stall but finally decided to go inside the gathering just to sate her curiosity. Inside the circle were two Royal guards heavily dressed to nines according to state protocols, wearing red greatcoats decorated with their gold medals of rank. They bowed when she stepped in front of them.

"Good day, Madame, You might know that every Lady possessing certain qualities is being requested by our young Prince Luke to try this glass slipper on. He hopes he can find someone he is looking for."

"Yes, but," Jade tried to convince the people around her she silenced finding no words to help her out of this predicament.

"Delicate questions, if there were ever any, but are you currently betrothed or married?"

"No," Jade squeaked and felt her face go red, "But I have never stepped into the palace or attended any royal event; I was in mourning for my father during the days of the ball," Jade spoke loudly while the next part of the sentence she grumbled to herself, "although my stepmother found time to attend it. Try that shoe on her dainty feet."