Seventy seven

Hannah

Oh, my love, why have I not told you before that I loved you? Oh, my love, for now, it is too late. You are sharing your love and pain with someone that was supposed to be me, oh, my love.

Closing my book, I sighed deeply, staring up at the ceiling as I laid it down on my stomach. Not all books had happy endings, apparently and somehow, these last few sentences struck to me for some reasons.

Because although I had loved my few days off a lot- as taking care of Zephaniah took, without actually realising it, energy. Especially when I had to do the household at home as well- those days off made me overthink a lot too, that, I didn't quite enjoy.

I was sure of my feelings for Zayn. I was very sure of it, but, I still hadn't figured out how to make it clear too him. Also because something was still holding me back- my father.

Not having asked for his opinion yet, I was scared that he wouldn't approve it, as he was loyal to our Faith. I had always been too, but to me this didn't feel like breaking it. It was just a different situation, though, something still held me back.

Sighing, I got off my bed and walked over to the laundry room, as the washing machine started beeping. It was around eleven pm, and my mind wandered to Zayn again. Would he be asleep right now? It was over ten pm, after all.

Smiling at the thought, I opened the washing machine and took out all of the wet clothes, dumping them into the dryer after that.

Sweater after sweater, I stuffed my father's and brother's trousers in it after that, my eyes suddenly falling on a small underwear with cartoon lion heads all over the white piece.

I frowned deeply, picking it up and then realising it belonged to Zephaniah. I had changed his underwear when he slept in my bed when they came over for dinner, and I must've thrown it into the laundry basket, unconsciously.

The fact that it was so small, probably explained why I hadn't seen it right after the dinner, as my laundry basket tend to hold small piece of clothings at the bottom.

I rubbed my face, shoving it into the dryer. This couldn't go on like this. It had become something natural, taking care of him as if he was my own child. I knew I needed to discuss this now, or I'd totally flip.

Biting my lip, I switched the dryer on and made my way downstairs, where my father and brother were playing chess while drinking an innocent bottle of beer.

"Hannah banana!" Samuel exclaimed once he noticed me, a huge grin on his face.

I simply rolled my eyes at the nickname and sat down at the table, watching my father as he was focused on the game, his eyes roaming over the board.

He grinned once he had beaten Samuel for his turn, shoving the white king away. Samuel groaned, and I could see he was making up another strategy to beat my father.

"Hannah," my dad said, tapping my cheek softly. "Can't you sleep?"

I shrugged, "Haven't tried yet. I was doing the laundry. Who's winning?" I wondered, seeing Samuel still had the most white pieces on the board, only missing the white rook and king.

"Is that even a question?" Samuel huffed playfully, taking a sip of his beer. He laughed loudly when dad couldn't figure out what to do anymore, Samuel shoving away the black knight.

"Sam always wins," my father sighed miserably and I simply smiled, playing with my fingers.

They continued to play for another while, occasionally exchanging a few words, until Samuel had officially won the game. He cheered, dad pouted, then they both looked at me.