Sixty

Zayn

"Is that enough?" Hannah asked me, the serving spoon hanging just above the pan as she glanced at my plate.

"Yeah, it's good, thank you Hannah," I said, feeling my cheeks warming up as I noticed Hannah's father and brother both looking at me.

I had never liked much attention, and especially not in situations where I would be the center of attention because I'd be new, or notable in ways I didn't know of.

Though, I was kind of used it, because who had a child at that age? I heard it multiple times before and people always stared and judged because of it. I was the center of attention in my family, at work, even in those stupid baby stores at that time.

Now I couldn't quite read her father's face, nor from her brother and girlfriend. They all seemed super friendly, but my trust was damaged many times before and so I didn't really know what to think.

What did it matter, anyway. It wasn't like they were going to be part of my life, right?

"What do you want, Zeph?" Hannah asked, and my lips curled up at the sound of it. Natural. Like it was, once again, supposed to be like that.

Zephaniah unconsciously reached for my hand and glanced at David and Samuel, his cheeks slowly turning the lightest shade of pink.

"You can tell Ms. Hannah," I mumbled, softly poking his cheek with my finger. "Do you want everything?"

Zephaniah looked up at me and blushed even deeper. I could see the slight look of desperation in his green eyes, but I knew I also had to push him to do things himself sometimes.

"You can tell her, Zeph. You know Ms. Hannah. You'll be fine." I whispered into his ear, briefly kissing his cheek after that.

He glanced at David, Samuel and Ruth again and stuffed his pinky into his mouth, his lips curling up as Cooper dribbled over to him.

"Hey, Zeph?" Hannah asked, pointing at Cooper. "I think he wants to take your order," She smiled, her dimples appearing on her cheeks.

Zephaniah giggled, already completely lost in his own world together with Cooper, "Fries, chicken.. veg-veg.. vegetables," He stuttered out, kissing Cooper's head tenderly.

Moving my head up, my eyes met Hannah's ones and I couldn't help but look at her in admiration, because she somehow always knew what to say to Zephaniah.

Her dimples deepened, her eyes squinting lightly as she smiled at me. I felt the corner of my mouth moving up as well, and my heart swelled with love for a split second.

"Okay, Zeph, if there's enough on your plate, you ask for Cooper's paw, okay?" Hannah simply said, stuffing his plate full.

Zephaniah glanced at his plate three times, then turned his attention to Cooper, "Give m-mme your paw, Cooper,"

Cooper immediately placed his paw on Zephaniah's lap and he smiled brightly when he looked at me, his hand reaching for my cheek for a short moment.

"Good job," I murmured, searching for his hand this time.

Because for some reasons, Zephaniah was my biggest source of confidence and encouragement, even when oppositely, I was that for him too. I always had to stay tough for him, even when I felt insecure and shy at times too. He unconsciously pushed me to cross my own borders, which I was super grateful for.

"You're a big eater, Zephaniah," David smiled, pointing at his plate, which was fuller than mine.

I swallowed, glancing at him as I knew he was sensitive when it came to comments, thinking it'd be a bad thing to be a big eater, but, yet again, there she was.