Landmines

*April 5, 2008*

If there was one way to describe Clint Barton it was that he was an idiot. I tightened my grip on my belt and hit the grapple release button. Clint and I dropped to the ground with a hard thud. The sound of a large explosion happening behind us. I then proceeded to jump up, run behind a car, and start to return fire towards the mafia men shooting at us. I'm still in a daze on how a Level 7 SHIELD Strike Team Delta Agent can walk into the middle of the road, and 'accidentally' step on a hidden mine. I shook my head and looked over at the birdbrain. He was also crouched down behind another car on the other side of the street; looking like he was in shock. I looked back towards the men, stood up, and fired a couple of shots off. I bent down for cover, looked back over the hood of the car, jumped up, and darted towards Clint; all the while shooting at some of the men. I threw myself behind Clint's hiding spot. I grabbed him around the waist, stood us up, and ran for the alley beside us. We came to the end of the building; there is a small fire escape to the left. I pushed him over to the ladder and forced him to climb it. We got up the ladder, I jumped in front of him, grabbed his hand, and lead him up the flight of stairs. We reached a part of the building that had an open window. I shoved him in, climbed in behind him, and shut the window.

I looked at Clint, pushed him down in a chair, and waved my hand in front of his face. "Clint, Clint you got to snap out of it," I sighed and turned from him.

I looked out the window to see if the mafia had seen where we went. Some of them had walked in to the alley and split up into two groups. One group went left to the back of the building we were in, and the other group went right towards another street.

"Hey, Clint, I'm going to need you snap out of it. We need to get out of here," I exclaimed. I looked him again. I knew better than to do what I was about to because he could react wrong, but I slapped in in the face. Only hard enough to get a reaction, and I got nothing.

"Come on, Clint, I need you. We have to get out of here," I said exasperated. I turned back to the window again.

"Tasha, since when do you need help?" Clint asked.

I turned and smirked at him, "Who said I needed you? I just want to make it out of here alive."

Clint just laughed and stood up shakily. I reached over and pushed him back down again. "You're not in any shape to get up. Just sit there, and maybe tell me a story."

He fell back down and said, "What the hell Tasha? I can't tell you a story; while we are running away from the mafia!"

"Clint, we are safe for now. Can you please tell me; how in the world you ended up on a landmine," I asked him.

"Well...," he started.

~Flashback~ (Clint's POV)

I have no clue why Tasha decided that I needed to be the one who had to follow our target. She is much better at fitting in to the things going on around us. She says it's because I never look relaxed enough; I'm too tense and always ready for a fight.

"Excuse me, Sir, would you like more coffee," my waitress asked.

I looked up at her, "Yes, please, and thank you."

As she walked away I pulled out my phone, called Nat, and glanced at our target. He was just sitting there on the computer. I honestly don't care what he is looking at. "Ugh, Nat, answer your phone," I exclaimed on the voicemail. I hung up and dialed her number again.

"What do you want, Birdbrain," she answered.

"Well good morning to you too, gorgeous," I replied.