Chapter 3

"Why are you crying, Kenz?" I ask. She's been crying for a good five minutes.
"I just, I didn't think he would get here again and it hurts and I don't want you to be mad at me" she whines.
"Why would I be mad at you? Can you tell me about him?" I ask. I'm trying to get her to stay awake because after a good punch in the face, if you fall asleep, you sometimes don't wake up depending on how hard you fall to the ground. She cries again and I rub small circles in her back to try and calm her.
"He, we met at a-a party and he liked me and I liked him so we d-dated and he hurt me, he would beat me like my dad would and he hurt me so bad. I ran away, I told him we couldn't be together and he hit me so hard, he nearly beat me to death and he r-raped me thinking it would make me stay with him and so I ran away but I was so hungry and tired, I needed to go home. I went home to my dad beating me" she cries.
"Your dad used to beat you? Is that why you prefer to not have a boyfriend?" I ask. Mackenzie nodded. I'm such an asshole. "Oh my god, Mackenzie, I'm so fucking sorry. I'm a douche. I shouldn't have said that, oh my god" I say to the poor crying girl with a bruised eye and a red cheek which was slowly going back to the normal color and a bruised and bleeding mouth.

Melissa comes in smiling until she sees her daughter sitting on my lap and crying into my shoulder. Melissa glares at me and looks to Mackenzie. "Kenzie?" Melissa asks and she looks at me trying to keep her bruised face away from her mum. I look to Melissa and then Mackenzie does too. Melissa's eyes widen and she runs over to us. "What happen?" Melissa is furious, curious, and she looked outright delirious. She looks to me and Mackenzie just sighs. She lays her head on my lap and I look at her mum.
"A kid, her ex-boyfriend, I don't know his name, I came out of my room and he was on top of her, I saw him hit her and then I asked him what he was doing, I got in a fight with him and as Mackenzie tried to break us up, he hit her in the mouth and yeah" I tell her mum who is a little more relieved than she was before.
"Mackenzie" she sighed and took her hair out of her eyes and then started to caress it. "Thank you, Ashton" Melissa smiles at me and I smile back slightly. "Would you mind putting her in her bed?" Melissa asks. I shake my head and pick her up bridal style as I bring her upstairs. I laid her in her bed and she smiled.
"Thank you, Ash" she said and she fell asleep almost instantly.

"Hey, Mackenzie we're going to the gym for boxing today, your mom and my dad said that I should take you so that Jonah doesn't come again and find you" Mackenzie nodded. She's been extremely silent lately. Jonah came three days ago and she's been quiet ever since. She's less bruised but more emotionally hurt.

We got in the car and went to the gym. I saw Calum and Michael. I did a small handshake to greet them as well as saying hello. "Where's Luke?" I asked.
"He got arrested" Calum answers.
"Again?" I asked. Michael nods.
"But don't worry his parents are bailing him out" Calum added.
"Again?" I ask again. Michael nods. "Please tell me he didn't get arrested for hitting a girl again" I say.
"He got arrested for hitting someone" Michael groans and I walk with Michael to the locker room. "Who was that girl with you?" Michael asks.
"My new sister" I tell him and he nods.

*Mackenzie's POV*

I saw two boys that looked Ashton's age. I know them, that's Calum and Michael, they're in my grade. I didn't know that they were boxers. Ashton greeted them and I felt awkward because no one even looked at me. Then again, they never do. I don't actually know them that well. I won't even go to the same school as them now. "Where's Luke?" Ashton asked. Luke, Luke doesn't ring a bell.
"He got arrested" Calum answers like it's the most natural thing ever. Arrested?
"Again?" Ashton asked. Michael nods. Again? Why is Ashton friends with someone who has been arrested?
"But don't worry his parents are bailing him out" Calum added.
"Again?" I ask again. Michael nods. "Please tell me he didn't get arrested for hitting a girl again" I say. Hitting a girl? He's been arrested for hitting a girl? Ashton hangs out with someone like that?
"He got arrested for hitting someone" Michael groans. Luke was arrested for hitting someone, I don't even know a Luke. Ashton and Michael walk away and I don't know where they're going but I'm here with Calum.

"So who are you?" Calum asks.
"I'm Ashton's step-sister. You were in my Science class last year, I'm Mackenzie Davenport. I don't go to school there anymore though" I say quietly. Calum nods.
"I think I remember you. Why don't you go to North High anymore?" Calum asks.
"I live closer to East High" I answer. Calum nods again. "I don't know Luke, who's he?" I asked.
"Oh, he used to go to South High but he got expelled" Calum says.
"How do you guys know him?" I ask.
"Well he could sing, and when we were a band, we needed him. Ash, Mike, and I could sing but we never really wanted to and Luke could sing really well so we brought him into the band. He realized he wasn't band worthy and he went to boxing but that led him into trouble" Calum explains and this time I'm the one to nod.

Ashton and Michael come out and they start boxing with two guys that I don't know, one's name is Ryan and the other is Shane. Tyler is Calum's trainer I guess and then Trevor is Luke's. Trevor and Tyler were sitting on the bench watching alone with Calum and I. Calum and I were talking and I found out he was actually quite funny. Michael is a pretty good boxer but he's not as strong as Ashton and Ashton is great. I don't know why Calum isn't practicing but Ashton gets off the mat and grabs my hand. "Bye, Ryan, thanks for today. Bye Mike and Cal" Ashton pulls me towards the car. I sit where I was on the way here and Ashton is steaming. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" Ashton asks.
"I don't know, what's wrong with you?" I ask. My "I don't know" answer pissed of Ashton more.
"You can't have a thing with Calum! He's my best friend! I should've let that Jonah kid rape you so you wouldn't be all over my best friend!" Ashton yells and speeds off. Tears are coming out of my eyes and I'm looking out the window trying to hide it from Ashton. Its 2:21 by the time we get home and I rush into my room as I cry. I'm not talking to Ashton anymore, I thought he was different but I guess not.

A/N- Edited.
I hope you all liked this chapter :)