Chapter 13

I’m still sick. It’s a weird sick though. Normally when you have the flu, you throw up a lot. I’m only throwing up in the middle of the day.

I wake up and my stomach hurts but I don’t actually throw up until eleven or twelve and then I feel fine for the rest of the day.

This has happened for about two weeks now and my mom is getting concerned. She set up an appointment tomorrow so that she knows what’s going on with me and makes sure it’s nothing more than the flu, or nothing less. I might be able to actually go to school, I might have been able to this whole time.

I see Ashton’s name appear on my screen and I slide my phone to answer the call. Though I hate the kid, why not just answer his phone call? He wouldn’t be calling if he didn’t need something important so why would he be calling me at 3:00 in the afternoon?

“Mackenzie, why haven’t you been answering my texts?” It’s great to hear Ashton’s voice, as much as I don’t want to admit it. It’s great to hear his voice.
“Mostly because I’m sick, partially because I don’t want to talk to you” being the smart ass I am that was my response. In reality, I didn’t know he did text me, I haven’t been on my phone as it makes my head hurt and makes me dizzy which makes me sick to my stomach.
“You’re sick? What are you sick with?” Ashton asks. He sounds so concerned and I love his concerned voice, but again, I’ll never admit it. I do like that he cares, it means a lot.
“The flu, I think” I reply.
“Mackenzie” Ashton whines after a pause of silence. My eyebrows frown but when I realize he can’t see me, I talk into the phone and say
“Yes?”
“I’m so fucking sorry. I regret everything I said or did. I know I told you I didn’t feel the same way anymore and all but, Mackenzie, I do, I feel the same feelings I felt before, maybe even stronger. I know I hung out with that other girl but that was just to get my mind off of you. I know you don’t believe me because that’s what every guy says, but it’s true, Kenzie. I’m nothing like Jonah, nothing. I would never hurt you like that purposely. I love you, Kenzie, please” I stayed quiet, purposely, because I didn’t want Ashton to hear my sobs. I also didn’t know what to say.
“Are you crying? Mackenzie, what’s wrong?” he already knows. He knows me way too well; he can basically read my mind. I’m crying because the words were sweet and meaningful, not because I’m sad. I’m crying because he cares and that makes me happy.

“Ashton, that’s the typical boy way of saying things, of course I don’t believe you” I tell him. Though I do believe him, I just want to know what else he has to say. 
“Oh god, Kenzie, I love you. I love you so much. I really am sorry, whether you think so or not, whether you believe me or not, or whether you accept my apology or not. I am sorry. I do regret everything, and I do love you. I promise. Nothing and no one, even you, can stop the way I feel about you” A few tears come out of my eyes again. There’s a short pause before Ashton speaks into the phone again. “Do you believe me?” he asks.
“I don’t know, Ashton” yes, I believe him. He can’t know that though so I’m keeping it to myself. I can’t give him the satisfaction of getting what he wants.
“Well, I’m coming over to help you get better. I’ll see you soon” what? He can’t come over.
“Ashton, you don’t have to...” I start but I didn’t get to finish before I heard the *beep, beep, beep* of him hanging up.

I hear a knock on the door. Ashton can’t be here yet; maybe he was really excited to see me?

I open the door seeing Jonah. “Jonah, I don’t have time for this right now, I’m really sick and…” I couldn’t finish my sentence before he put his hand up to stop me.
“I don’t want to hear the bullshit, Mackenzie. I’ve heard that way too many times” I have told him multiple times that I felt sick when he wanted to hang out but this time I really meant it and I was going to prove it.
“Do you want me to throw up on you? Because I will”
“That’s disgusting” He nods with his words as he glares at me for saying gross words. I might say gross words to get him to go away but he’s a gross human being.
“Well then leave” I sass.
“No, we’re going to discuss something. You love me and only me, correct?” what is he talking about? I haven’t even seen Jonah for a year and the last time I saw him he tried raping me!
“No” I answered dragging the word.
“You bitch” He came closer to me and I backed away.
“Don’t touch me, Jonah” I warn “Don’t touch me!” I scream once he goes to grab me.
“Don’t fucking touch her” Jonah stops and looks to the door, I look towards the door too, although I already know it’s
“Ashton” this is the second time he’s saved me from Jonah. Last time I was seventeen. This time I’m eighteen.
“What the fuck are you doing here? You don’t live with her anymore” Jonah growls
“But I do love her” Ashton adds.
“Do you love this guy?” Jonah points to Ashton. I look between Ashton and Jonah.

I know that I love Ashton, I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to tell Jonah and Ashton that I love Ashton.

Jonah could beat me up; rape me, hurt Ashton, or worse. Ashton, he wouldn’t physically hurt me but I don’t want to give him the advantage of knowing that I love him.

“His name is Ashton and yes I do” Ashton’s face lights up with my words and Jonah’s face is what I was afraid of.
“I think that’s your cue to leave” Ashton tells Jonah.
“I think I’ll kill the both of you” before Ashton and I say anything, another voice comes into the conversation and another two people come into view.
“I don’t think that’s necessary” Calum tells Jonah.
“Calum? What are you doing here?” Ashton asks. He’s so surprised; I wouldn’t think Ashton was so surprised and caring for his friends.
“I was going to your house but I followed you here” Calum tells him. Ashton just smiles. “I wouldn’t just leave you hanging after a fight, Ash” That explains enough. I wonder what they fought about.
“That’s fucking weird” Jonah cuts in.
“Oh like you were invited?” Michael sasses. Calum and Ashton smirk at his rude remark.
“I was because Mackenzie loves me” Jonah tells everyone
“Actually, she loves Ashton” Luke tells him. Luke? Luke. My eyes widen as I realize that Luke is in my house, fighting against Jonah like the rest of us. Luke is normally always against us. “Actually, she loves Ashton” his words replay in my head. Now Luke knows he real reason I broke up with him.

I look to Luke who looks slightly amused. “Now, do you wanna finish this fight physically or do you just wanna get the fuck out?” Luke asks.

To my surprise Jonah puts his arms up in defense and walks out. “Thank you, guys” I say, looking to each of them. They all have small smiles on their faces.
“We never leave anyone in the group to fight a fight without all of us. We all finish each other’s fights as a group. No one messes with our squad” Calum explains.
“Nobody messes with my clique, clique, clique” Michael sings. We all laugh and sit down together, you think that might be a little awkward with the Luke situation but it’s not, not at all.