Chapter 14

Ashton has stayed here for a week and a half, taking care of me. “Ash, this isn’t fair, I don’t need taking care of, I don’t even know what’s wrong with me yet” I tell him.
“That makes it worse and the fact that the doctor wasn’t in for your appointment and couldn’t set one for another two weeks is pretty fucked up if you ask me” Ashton rants.
“Well the appointment is in two days so” I start to trail off but he rolls his eyes and I smack his arm. I breathe heavily and Ashton’s eyes widen. He grabs my hand and runs me to the bathroom, he’s been taking care of me for a week and a half, he knows how it goes.

I come out of the bathroom and Ashton is holding my toothbrush and water. I smile and take the water before brushing my teeth.

Ashton and I sit on the couch and do nothing but watch T.V and I see Ashton looking at me in the corner of my eye. “Ash?” I break him out of his trance.
“Kenzie?” he asks and I’m not sure whether he’s mocking me or asking for me so I just look to him. “Do you think… we might ever… you know?” he stumbles with his words and I honestly don’t know what he’s talking about. I don’t know what he’s asking really. I look at him with a confused glance and he sighs. “Kenz, you’re just, you’re perfect, I mean your hair is in a messy bun and you’re wearing sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt and you have no makeup on-which is a way you didn’t let anyone see you- but you’re still perfect. You never find a perfect person unless you’re really in love with them and I do love you, Mackenzie. I know I love you. I love everything about you, when you’re sassy, when you’re kind, when you have no makeup on and you’re dressed the way you are, when you look like you have no one to impress, I love that I’m the only one that has seen you that way out of someone who isn’t your family. Mackenzie, I just really love you and…” I don’t know whether it was the kind words, the amount of thought he had put into the words he was saying, the fact that he looked really cute while saying it, or just because I was completely obsessed with the way his lips moved when he talked that made me kiss him but I was glad I did it.

When I pulled away Ashton smiled. “Does that mean I can date you?” Ashton asks and I laugh.
“Yeah” Ashton’s eyes go wide and he kisses me this time.
“Dammit, Mackenzie, you’re sick!” he yells and jumps off the couch and then looks at me, grabs my face, kisses me again but this time it’s quick. “If I get sick, Kenz…” Ashton starts but then he smiles and goes in the kitchen.

I hear the door open and I go over to it hoping that it isn’t Jonah. Thankfully it isn’t, it’s Luke. I hug him quickly and sit back on the couch.

“So, I wanted to ask you something” Luke trailed off. I knew exactly where this was going and I wasn’t ready to explain all of the thoughts that ran through my head two weeks ago. “Did you break up with me because you loved Ashton?” the words that came out of his mouth were the ones I didn’t want to hear and didn’t want to answer.
“It’s not the only reason” I trailed off and Luke looked to me. He stood up from his spot on the couch next to me and was now hovering over me. I stood up to try and be somewhat his height, I still wasn’t even close.
“What were the reasons then?” Luke hissed. I don’t understand how he got so upset within a matter of thirty seconds. “Mackenzie, I fucking loved you”

Luke loved me?

I looked to Luke but then he became blurry and suddenly my head felt a lot heavier than usual. My head dipped down but my eyes were still open. I was becoming dizzier and more out of it by the second and I finally collapsed to the ground and I saw Luke bend down to me but I heard nothing, I felt nothing, and after a while I saw nothing.  

‘._’._’._

I woke up seeing Ashton and Luke. I yawned and closed my eyes and then opened them again.

Luke loved me? I questioned. I remember him talking to me about it before I felt all dizzy. Luke looked at me shocked and Ashton looked to Luke with a glare and then back to me. “What are you talking about, Kenz?” Ashton asked. What did I say?
“I didn’t say anything” I tell him.
“You asked if Luke loved you” Ashton tells me. I said that out loud?
“Oh” I say quietly.
“Yes, Mackenzie, I did” Luke says. Ashton turns his head towards Luke and Luke stares at me. “Whatever the reasons are, I’m sorry” he says. “I just want us to be friends still” Luke tells me and I nod.

After a while Luke left and I went to bed with Ashton right by my side.