Time changes everything and nothing at all

Wade

Sophomore and junior practically flew by. I kept spending time with Rain in the morning, even after Cole graduated. I liked her. Sometimes we talked, sometimes we didn't, which was fine with me.

Tony broke up with the evil troll after he caught her cheating on him. Adrian and I felt terrible for him, but it relieved us that we weren't subject to her voice anymore. Good god, she was annoying.

My friendship with Tony went back to normal, and when I explained why I kept my distance from him, it confused him. He knew nothing about a cupcake or the fact he would ever have told Ella about my sexuality. He said it was none of her damn business. Adrian reminded me he told me so. I hated acknowledging he was right, but what can you do?

The three of us continued to play football and baseball, landing on varsity because of it. I had put on height and muscle, as did Tony and Adrian. Once you got past the awkward teenage phase, you felt more comfortable in your skin.

Today was May 20, and I reached into my pocket, pulling out a tattered note I had kept on me since that day, I found the cupcake in my locker. It was also my birthday, and I had just turned seventeen.

I went to school, did my thing then when school was over with Tony and Adrian asked if I wanted to celebrate my birthday. I told them this weekend the three of us would do something. I had other plans.

I arrived at the coffeehouse and ordered a coffee. Once I received my coffee, I turned and looked to the back corner booth, only it was empty. I furrowed my brows. It was some joke.

I looked at the note, and they specifically told me the back corner booth. I sighed figures. I tried to date, and it always led to me showing up, and no one would be there. I fell for it every single time. It completely blew.

Cole

I sat in a different booth and watched Wade come into the coffee shop. I didn't think he would show or remember. I changed spots just in case he didn't show.

I sat there drinking my coffee as he looked around. I didn't want to make things too clear until he noticed me sitting there. I waited until he approached my booth.

"Cole?" He looked at me questionably.

"Wade," I answered as I drank my coffee. He stood there, trying to figure out what to do. He had filled out a lot and grew taller. His lips were as plump as they were before.

"Mind if I sit?" He asked me as I sat there. I shook my head as he sat down. Then I listen to him ramble on about being a Brony and his fondness for My Little Pony. Some things never change.

I drank my coffee as he talked and worried. I found it adorable the way he worried about things. Finally, I stopped him and reassured him it was no big deal. He relaxed.

"You've changed a lot since Sophomore year," I commented as he looked at me quizzically.

"Puberty does that to you," he chuckled as I chuckled softly. "It's funny. I came to meet someone tonight."

"Oh?" I looked at him, acting a bit surprised.

"Yeah, I got this note, and they told me to meet them today in this coffeehouse," he answered as he showed me the note. I took it from him and read it. "But, I'm guessing they changed their mind. It wouldn't be the first time."

I looked up from the note. "What do you mean?"

"Guys would ask me out and tell me to meet them; then, they wouldn't bother to show. I figured they thought it would be a good prank. You don't want to hear how of an epic failure I'm at this, and I'm good with being single," he shrugged as I could hear the hurt in his voice.

The thing about Wade is he was a great guy. I was happy nothing ever developed with anyone else. I had waited until this day to have a chance with him.

"I'm just going to go," he said as he got up from his seat.

"Wait," I said as he stopped. "I have something for you." He sat back down, and I reached down, picking up a container, setting it on the table in front of him. He looked down as he reached for it.

I watched his face turned to stunned silence; Then I watched as he opened it to reveal a single cupcake with blue icing. He picked it up and took a bite. As he ate the piece of cake that was in his mouth, he looked at me, shocked.

"It was you," he remarked as he set the cupcake down. "You were the one that gave me the cupcake and note."

I nodded.

"I don't understand, why did you change seats?" He asked with confusion.

"I wanted to make sure this was the right decision and if you would show up," I answered as he looked at me. "I like you, Wade, and I would like to take you on a date if you would like to go?"

His expression changed to surprise.

"I will take that as a yes?" I asked him as a smile grew upon his face, then changed to concern.

"What about that guy you told me about?" He questioned me.

"That guy I was telling you about was you. I didn't want to scare you off," I spoke truthfully.

He looked at me as I looked at him.

"Why the cupcake?" He inquired.

"My grandfather said you should celebrate things with cake. People celebrate moments with cake, no matter how big or small, and cake makes everyone happy. Rain suggested I give you cake to make you happy. That's why I made you a cupcake. I made you one today because it's your birthday," I told him as he smiled shyly.

"I like that, and can I tell you, you're good at making cakes?"

I chuckled when he said that.

"You should have seen my first cake. It was so crooked," I roared as Wade did the same. We spent the rest of the evening talking as he ate his cupcake.

Sitting there with Wade, I felt like I could talk to him about everything and anything. I felt more relaxed and could laugh. I'm glad I waited. Even though it concerned Luke, my feelings for Wade never changed. I liked him as much as I did the first time I met him. Now I liked him even more.

No matter what happened, I wanted to figure it out, and I tried to figure it out with Wade. I figure we would start with a date then go from there.