• thirty-three •

Start from the beginning

Leah snorted.

Both men looked at her.

She cleared her throat. "I've seen it happen before where someone was not entirely faithful. Mark, in high school-"

Julian shook his head. "He lost his mind when he lost her. He wouldn't have had a fling."

I tried to deflect the conversation back, starting to feel uncomfortable with its direction. Damien had tried to kiss me when he was engaged to Leah, after all.

"Asmo also mentioned Kymra and Oren," I continued. "He made it sound as if they hadn't been by the Keep. I wonder if they're looking for us."

Damien nodded. "Maybe we can put feelers out there with your contacts, Julian."

He nodded. "I will go back tomorrow to check on progress."

I bit my lip, looking at Julian. "I have to go back to Asmo a couple of times a week. To get more information from him. Me, alone. He won't open his home to any others."

I though that Julian would argue. That he would insist that he needed to be there as well. I thought he'd be jealous or fight. He did none of those things. Instead, he smiled kindly which felt like someone had kicked me right in the stomach. His hand grasped my cheek gently. "All right. If that is what needs to be done. I won't doubt you again."

Leah looked at us. "Training tomorrow then as early as possible. Who knows what information he will give us- we may need to act quickly."

Damien turned to Leah, slightly surprised. "R-right. We may need to act fast."

I jumped at the opportunity. "Leah should learn too." I looked at Damien. "Women are more powerful, right? We will need her." I remembered what Asmo had said. That he even mentioned Leah, meant she was involved and in danger. "She shouldn't be vulnerable to attack."

Julian placed a hand on my shoulder. "She's right. Leah should be more than just a hostess. She can really help."

I breathed a small sigh of relief. At least I didn't feel alone in it.

Leah stepped forward. "I can help. I want to."

I could have sworn I saw a vein jump in Damien's neck. He was outnumbered and as much as I hated cornering him like we were, we needed as much help as we could.

Damien was annoyed. "No." He looked at me. "Don't bring this up again, Em." He moved towards the door that led to the stairs. "Tomorrow first thing, I will join you in reaching your contacts, Julian." He looked at the rest of us. "Good night."

He left quickly, leaving absolutely no room for us to continue the conversation.

Julian sighed. "I'll try to talk to him." He nodded towards Leah. "We need her help." He looked at her. "I will train you with or without his blessing. We don't need permission."

Leah smiled slightly, her lip quirking upwards. "Preferably with his cooperation."

Julian nodded. He turned to me and placed a sweet kiss on my forehead. "I'll see you upstairs."

I swallowed. Gods, I had to start pulling away from him soon. How could I do that, when all I wanted to do was melt into his touch?

He left without another word, trying to catch up to Damien as he made his way back to his room.

Leah sighed. "Thank you anyway."

I tried to smile but failed. "You did me a favor by keeping them here. It wouldn't have worked otherwise."

Leah watched me for a moment longer. "What happened? You don't seem too thrilled with having a spy now."

I shook my head. "This is good news. Asmo-" My tongue suddenly felt heavy. "He will help." The words fell flat, monotone. I even had to look away as I said it. It was a half-truth at best. He would help...all I had to do was sacrifice my future for it. instead of the dream Julian and I had of going to Skryen together, of introducing Julian to my parents as a partner...it was all gone.

"You have power over Asmo, you know."

She was wrong. So wrong. I had nothing over him. He had my future in his hands. "I'm queen," I said instead without any feeling. "I would hope so."

She shook her head. "No. That's not what I mean. The way he looks at you-I've seen it before. In school, there was this guy and-" she stopped, shrugging her shoulders. "I mean, I hate to admit it now but he would do anything for me. So, I used him." She looked away. "I know what you're going to say. It's not something you would do. But they told me about the bargain he trapped you in, that he was the reason you and Julian were apart. That he's manipulative and can be cruel. Asmo seems to be the kind of guy that will play dirty to get what he wants. Damien hid you from him when you were human for a reason. He is a villain." She shrugged. "If he tries anything with you again-if he tried to trick you or trap you." She looked at me. "Then you shouldn't play fair either."

••••••••••••••••

You all have been so amazing. Your positive thoughts and words really have had an effect on me. I hope you enjoyed this super early update! ❤️❤️