• thirty-three •

Start from the beginning

Leah did exactly as I hope she would. And to that, I was more than pleasantly surprised.

Damien stood and approached me, pulling me into a hug I returned.

"We were worried," he breathed.  When I pulled away and looked at him, I could see the worry written plainly on his face.

I faked a smile. "I'm fine."

Julian pulled me into a hug I didn't see coming and I greedily took him in. I buried my face in his strong chest, breathing in his distinctive scent. Sandalwood and spice, I remembered.

"Leah said you went willingly," he said softly, his voice reverberating through his chest. "I was going to go get you if you didn't return by midnight."

I smiled at that. Of course he would.

"I'm glad you're safe," he whispered. He pulled away, then frowned. His eyes darted over my features. "Did he touch you, Emylin?" I saw fury begin to spark in his eyes. "I swear to the gods, I will kill him."

I shook my head. "No," I whispered back. "He didn't touch me. He didn't do anything like that."

I saw him breathe a sigh of relief. "Good." He hugged me again and I felt the relief flood through him. "Good."

Leah stepped into my field of vision, wringing something in her hands in anticipation. "What did he want?"

Julian pulled away from his hug and all three looked at me intently.

Despite what happened, I managed a small smile. It was a small victory after all. "We have a spy."

Leah frowned. Julian's brows shot straight up and Damien looked mildly confused.

"He offered to be our spy until she's overthrown. He hates this girl just like us. He wants to help."

Damien scoffed. "What did he want? To be king in exchange for his help?"

"No," the word escaped me before I could think of a response. I cleared my throat. "No, he wasn't interested in that."

"Another bargain?" Leah asked cautiously.

Again, before the next moment was up, the word was out. "No." 

I opened my mouth again then closed it. The voice was mine but it acted on its own. Like...magic.

Damien frowned. "He genuinely wants to help us?"

I bit my lip but nodded anyway.

Julian turned to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "A spy on the inside," he smiled but it seemed forced. I could feel him struggle. He was fighting his history with Asmo, what he knew about him, with what I just presented him. "The closest we can get to Mal. I'm sorry, Emylin. I never should have doubted you."

My heart twisted as he placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. His thumb grazed my cheek tenderly. I wanted to open my mouth to speak but it remained shut on its own. My words burned in my throat. You were right, Julian. I shouldn't have trusted him. I shouldn't have risked our happiness for what he offered. we could have found peace another way. We should have been able to build our lives. He shouldn't have trapped me in another bargain. I should have been more careful.

"Did he say anything else?"

I turned Damien as he asked and nodded. "She is Robyn's daughter though he doesn't know if she is Tianna's."

Leah frowned. "Does that mean she's illegitimate? Since she's not a daughter of the queen's?"

Damien crossed his arms as Julian let me go. "Illegitimacy doesn't matter to Fae. Children are rare enough, as long as they are the rightful king or queen's heir, that won't matter. Robyn carried the line, so Tianna wouldn't have mattered." He shook his head. "Robyn adored Tianna, he would not have been with anyone else."