Books.

I looked up from a book.

"Stella. Most of this stuff we learned at school...I need to push my self harder. One page keeps asking for my "gestures". When I was going really well, I never used hand gestures.    Maybe a few finger swirls here and there. My trick, I'd "think it".    Just make it happen! If I wanted to be real fancy, or more direct - I'd point!.." I pretend to show Stella my "pointy" fingers.

"I remember those! But, yeah. I was like you. Only difference between you and I - I had to do what was called the "Open-Hand". My skill required an open hand gesture. To show I considered all things, all at once! And what ever fell between my open hands, would feel my rule or simply be crushed!.." Stella slowly stood giving a dramatic interpretation of what she had been taught at school.

We both laughed. Stella crossed her eyes to add to her hands waving around!

"The tutors made it all look sooo simple!.."

We were given special classes at school, called "All In The Gesture".    We all laughed at the time, but it proved to be one of the many hard classes of our school.     We, students all entered thinking it was going to be an easy-peasy class (We could do it with our eyes closed!   Some even tried)       Two hours later, we all filed out - Silent, stunned. Some had twisted their wrists, a few had strained fingers (I heard, one girl broke all her fingers on one hand!)

EB's head went from side to side, listening as Stella and I chatted away.   She liked the idea of going to a magic school (Couldn't recall ever having been to a school herself)     Maybe she had?  Maybe she hadn't!     She lifted her small thin hands, rubbed them together (Felt some heat start in her palms) Cracked her knuckles, long thin fingers snapped into action.

Her left pointer finger touched the centre of her right hand palm. She lifted the finger slightly, a flame grew.    It flickered, it danced!    It caught my eye, drew me in!      I grabbed her hand, held it tight (Leaned into her face)    Black eyes stared up at me.  They were not like Ethan's, they were like a dark night with no stars. A slight marble glow.

"Black Cursed Magic!  In my presence!    I will end you where you sit!    Kneel before me, before I call the gods above!.."      I had grabbed her wrist, taken the flame.   It stood on the tip of my finger.    My eyes glowed a ember green, flickered a gas blue.

(I seriously did not know what had just come over me!) A small voice was screaming - "Stop! Not her you, idiot!"

EB crumbled on the spot, started to cry...Bell rushed to quickly hold her, and shielded her with her body. I flicked a finger for Bell to move....Bell was dragged to stand beside Stella. Stella's mouth had dropped open.

"Death won't be your future. There are things within you I can gain!.." Who the hell was I at present?! Not me that's for sure!

"....trinity! please! i will....h..h..help yooouu!.." Small tears were flowing from her red weeping eyes. She'd dart looks to Stella, Stella was holding Bell back. I really needed to get my focus back, chill the hell down. Face the facts, I could read a little of the books - But, perhaps learn first why the books were having this effect!

Hand-magic couldn't have set this off? I'd only been reading a page or two. EB was only showing us her skills. It was good she showed us....Best we know of them, in case anything else just happened!

Stella held up her hands..."Trin. Breath! Give me EB. Now!..." Her voice was calm, my change was just too sudden. Her hands were reaching for the young woman crumbled on the floor. I looked oddly wild, scared. I backed away, stared at my own hands (WHY THE HELL, DID I JUST DO THAT?!) I looked back at Stella now holding EB.