POBACW #12 : Never Ever Delete

#12 Never Ever Delete:

I have learned to save every little note, story, one-shot I have written over the years. Doing that has helped me store thousands of ideas, which I have used in my many stories and still do use them. Every idea counts when you’re working on a plot with multiple characters, its back history, and the various character traits. Since I am in a habit of jumping from one story to other, it would have been hectic to invent new ideas every few seconds without getting overly confused. Most of the plots that I have designed contain ideas that came to me two years ago, even maybe three years ago (don’t remember much now).

You may think your writing isn’t worth posting on a public site; you might think your story sucks. So what? Nobody becomes famous overnight. In fact, most famous writers are oldies in their late thirties or forties and even fifties. Why? One might wonder. It’s because they wait for the right moment to write the next big thing. No one writer can write the perfect book in one night. Take GOT for example (apologies for this, I know I rambling about the series in every chapter lol! But I can’t help it). In the Game of Thrones series, each character has a base, on which, his/her story has been build. None of them is without a backbone. The characters are so strong that it makes the story very interesting and keeps the plot going (which is great as well). The author wrote the series twenty years ago (that’s a lot of time to work on a series). I am sure; the author had thousands of notes, stories of each of the characters woven into the novel to make it what it is today.

If you can’t write down a current chapter (say chapter 3) but you know what happens in the end. Then you should go ahead and write the ending of the story. It doesn’t have to be perfect and you can always make the changes later on (in case there is a twist or an important thing you missed mentioning in the ending chapter). By doing this, you at least have a back up for the last chapter. In a way, it reduces your work and makes it easier to overcome a writer’s block, if you have one ^^. Also, if you feel like it, write a one-shot of a character. If it is good enough, you might be able to add it into the actual story. It could be anything from a flashback, a dialogue or a scene set in an Alternate Universe (AU). Personally, I find it fun to write a one-shot of characters in a AU setting ^^.

This includes all the first drafts you have written about your story. Never delete those, because there might be some ideas, you might want to add later on, from the very draft you feel like deleting. While re-writing that second draft you, need to use the first as a reference (it’s obvious but I am still saying lol!)

So, that’s all for now. Remember, everything you write is important. Don’t delete those notes and bits and stories, keep them safe and use them in your book as much as possible ^^.

If you guys have any topics, you want me to discuss, you can message me or post it out here ^^

Post your thoughts in the comments section below, I would love to hear from you'll :P !! - Sanya