Chapter 1: Finding The Dress

Start from the beginning

When my mom and sister took off I walked around a bit, trying to avoid everyone as much as possible. I went to the small pizza restaurant which was thankfully away from the crowd when I saw a little antique store in a secluded alleyway. I noticed it before but never spared my time. But right now it seemed like the only place without dozens of people and a bus full of squealing girls so I walked in.

It was quite amazing actually. Everything was vintage, from a grandfather clock to a grand piano to just about any old thing you can find. There was even a classic record player. I loved everything to do with turntables and I actually started my own vinyl collection.

Being the curious one I looked around and saw no one so I found a vinyl from a classic band from the 80's. I slipped the disc on the track and placed the needle to start playing.

To say it played beautifully and melodiously was an understatement.

"Can I help you dear?" someone asked from behind me and I squealed in fright.

"Oh...ah no, sorry I just couldn't help myself. It is a beautiful turntable." I said as smiled at the elderly woman.

"It is and you played my favorite record dear." She said beaming brightly at me.

"I love this band." I said returning her smile.

"Shouldn't you be shopping for your dress?" she asked.

"No I don't do the whole ritual thing. My mom and sister are actual out looking for a dress for me." I replied.

"Why? Scared of the beast?" she asked looking amused.

"No. It's just that this whole thing seems like a made up folktale that might just be a cover up for something a little more sinister." I said.

"Now I agree with you there honey." She said. "But don't think that the beast isn't real. I know that there may not be proof but then again is there proof of it not existing?" she asked.

"Well there isn't but...." I trailed off because she was right.

"But nothing dear. I'm with you on this. But considering you have to go, why don't I show you a few pieces?" She suggested.

"No I'll pass." I said and she only laughed as she pulled me to the clothes section.

"We are going to find you a dress. You may not like this event but you my dear are going out in style." She said smiling at me.

"Alright, if you insist."

"Okay you look through that section." She said pointing to all the white dresses. "I will be right back." And she walked to the back room.

All the dresses here were actually quite beautiful but not particularly my taste. After what seemed like forever the store owner came back.

"Find anything yet dear." She came, box in hand.

"No not yet." I said looking through the racks of white dresses she had.

"I was hoping so." She said as she set the box down on a table. "This dress belonged to me when I was around your age." She smiled at the memory, "Except I had this for when I though I was going to get married to man before I met my late husband."

"I really can't.." I shook my head.

"Can't or wouldn't? Just take a look a dear." She said as opened up the box and took out the dress.

It was breathtaking. It was like a dress made with magic, as weird as that sounds. It was absolutely beautiful.

"It's amazing." I said as my eyes practically bugged out of my eyes. "But I seriously can't. This must cost a fortune. I wouldn't be able to afford it." I said stepping away.

"Who said anything about paying." She said amused.

"I don't understand."

"I'm giving it to you dear. For free, no charge." She said packing it back in the box.

"I can't accept this." I pushed the box back to her.

"Honey I have no use for this again. It will fit you perfectly and you'll pull it off." She smiled even brighter.

"Okay I will take it. But at least let me know your name." I said curiously.

"It's Jane Fraser."

"I'm Emery Aiken. Nice to meet you Mrs. Fraser." I said putting my hand out for her to shake.

"The pleasure is mine dear child. And you're making me sound old, call me Jane." She laughed.

"Well Jane, I best be going now before my mother thinks that the beast took me early." I laughed but her expression just fell.

"Emery, just be careful okay. You never know what's lurking out there."

"I will. I promise." I smiled even though her words made me curious.

"Okay now go child before your family gets worried." She said smiling again. "And don't forget to come back."

"I would, soon. Hopefully I will be here more often when the whole ritual fiasco is over."I said as I walked out. "Bye Jane!"

"Bye dear!" She called back.

By the time I was done I had enough time to get my pizza and finish it until my mom called and said to meet her in the shoe store.

She took that long in the clothing store, I was terrified of how long she would take in the shoe store.

The dress she found was nice but not nearly as beautiful as Jane's so I decided to hide my dress so my mother wouldn't make me return it. While she shopped for accessories to match the dress she bought, I shopped for the dress I was given.

It was going to be a long week but hopefully I would survive it.

A/N

First chapter up. I know it was a little too descriptive but I really just wanted to give you all the background story.

Hope you all liked it!

The Ritual is going to be epic!

If you liked the chapter then please consider:

Voting + Commenting

I would love to hear back from you all.

Read on wolfies, 🐺

-Shania. 🐾

 🐾