Chapter 1: Finding The Dress

Start from the beginning

Of course I know that I will not be chosen as I hate this ritual with all of my heart and soul, so there is no way this beast is going to take me. But still I hate being apart of this tradition.

Plus I may get hypothermia from sitting out all night in the middle of the forest, no blanket, no heater, just plain old me in that stupid white dress.

My family persistently pushed me to this ritual. My father was a bit wary but my mom convinced him that it would be the best thing. Even my little sister was excited for it. But fortunately for her she was only fifteen.

Unlike the other girls in this town, I wanted to explore the world, move out of this creepy town and go to college. Graduate with a medical degree and help those that are not as fortunate to get the medical help that some take for granted. Most importantly I wanted to live, not die in some stupid ritual.

My sister Avery was also sick. She had muscular dystrophy. It basically means that overtime, her muscles are being broken down and someday, sooner rather than later, she will become so weak that she wouldn't be able to walk.

One of the reasons I didn't want to leave her was because I wanted to be here and take care of her. I wanted to go to medical school and fight to find a cure for her or a way for her to be able to walk when her legs give out.

I had a life to live. I even had a boyfriend who was also against this insane ritual and creature. Jake and I always had that in common, a main reason why I liked him so much. But he was funny and charming. It was impossible to hate him.

He and I both didn't want me to be apart of the ritual but my mom and the entire village is making everyone one of us, eligible, attend. Not as if we have a choice.

My friends couldn't be more excited for this. The more I tried to show them how cruel the tradition was, the more they found positive things to say about it.

But as of now they have become competitors to each other, thinking this is some competition for the beast. Strange didn't even begin to describe it.

Today was Monday and the blood moon was set to take place on Saturday night. My mom and sister dragged me out of the house to go dress shopping as the ritual calls for the girls to wear a white dress. Something to do with purity and innocence and all that nonsense.

The streets were busy with girls in the most glamorous stores looking for their dress and individuals on the streets decorating for the ritual.

They celebrated and decorated as if it was Caesar returning from defeating Pompey. Streamers, lights and the works.

"Emery, what store do you want to start in first?" my mother asked as she led the way.

"Anywhere not crowded. You know I already don't like this thing." I said with a frown to exaggerate my point.

"Emery please don't fight with me on this again. We already talked about this." She said in a stern voice.

"But mom it doesn't make sense to spend a truck load of money for just one night that can either end in my death or me remaining here and have nothing else to do with the dress." I replied.

"If you don't want to shop then don't, but your sister and I are going to get a dress for you, whether you like it or not." She said as she and my sister Avery took off to one of the most expensive stores in towns which just happened to be the one filled with the most people.

My mom has been talking about this day since I was born. I seriously couldn't catch a break. Twenty years ago my mom was twenty three so she was not eligible to par take therefore now that I have a chance, she is jumping for joy. But she has never and will never be in the position I am in.