Chapter 9: The Hangover

Start from the beginning

"Oh God," Lily knew who the mysterious driver was upon hearing Lilith. She walked over to the passenger side and he let down the window. She bent down to see him. "What are you doing?"

"You ended our relationship, not our traveling arrangements," Finn replied.

"I thought that went without saying..."

"I told you that I'd be here for you regardless and I meant it," he said.

"Fergal..." Lily sighed. "How can I get space from you if we're still riding together? Our entire relationship was flight, drive, more flights and more drives and then we eventually added sex. I was around you more than anyone else. We'll still be doing the same minus the sex. Technically, it won't qualify as a break. I thought you respected my decision."

"I am respecting your decision to separate as a couple. Do you see me on my hands and knees begging to work things out? As of right now, I'm fine just going back to the way we were before because I know that you'll eventually come to your senses and we'll pick up where we left off," he leaned over to open the passenger door but Lily closed it.

"That may be a while. My dad and I are finally talking again. I don't want to undo all the progress we made if he finds out I'm riding with you again. He's already super paranoid about us being on the road together this weekend while he's not here."

"That fast, huh? We split Tuesday, it's Friday. If all it took was 2 and a half days for him to forgive you, was he really all that mad to begin with?"

Lily heard doors slamming and her would be road buddies sinking into the car.

"What's it going to be?" Finn asked.

"I can't," Lily shook her head.

"Okay, have fun being the third wheel. Oh, excuse me, technically there are already four wheels on the car, you're like the spare underneath," Finn smiled, slowly pulling off.

It would be awkward considering that they were all couples, or at least she took Seth and Marina to be coupled. "Wait!"

Finn slammed on breaks and the car jerked. He got out and transferred her bags from Seth's trunk to his. "Let's go."

Being alone with him after what happened was strange. It actually felt more awkward than their very first trip together but worse knowing how they felt about each other.

"So...." Finn said in an attempt to break the ice and Lily didn't follow up with a so of her own. He sighed. "Come on, Lilith."

"Fine. So..."

"Nevermind."

His phone kept dinging as he texted back and forth. She could see him smiling at the screen from her peripheral vision. It concerned her because she thought back to what Marina said. Some people could read lips, Lily could read text strokes and she was certain he just typed, 'I love u 2.'

Finn dropped the phone in his cup holder. "My mom says hello and she wants you to know that she is terribly disappointed in your decision."

"You told her?" Lily gasped but she was relieved that he hadn't moved on already.

"I thought they told you there weren't any secrets in the Devitt household."

"Yeah, but I didn't take it seriously. I mean come on, your face was black and blue, you had no other choice but to talk about the incident," she replied. "What did she say? Is she mad at me?"

"No," he shook his head. "She just thinks you're...young."

"Okay, she's not mad. What about you?"