over

Jeff went outside to find Stone sitting on the porch facing the backyard. He was smoking just like he said he was going to. Jeff sat down next to him. Stone looked over, his face twisted when he saw it was Jeff. "What do you want?" He asked coldly.

"I wanted to make sure you're ok."

"Bullshit. Chris made you check on me."

"Ok fine, he did. But I really did want to make sure your ok." Jeff said truthfully.

"I'm fine, you can go now." Stone said looking into the distance.

Jeff was going to curse at Stone and leave him alone like he usually did. But something inside him was telling him to stay. Whether it was the alcohol or something else, he stayed seated.

"No."

"What?" Stone asked sounding confused.

"No, I'm not leaving." Jeff said.

"God, Jeff! You never know when to stop, do you? You make fun of me all night and when I finally leave, you follow me and continue to harass me!" Stone yelled, aggravated and distressed.

"You think I make fun of you?" Jeff asked. He didn't know Stone felt this way.

"Yes, constantly." Stone said.

"Stoney, I don't know how to say this." Jeff said nervously, rubbing the back of his head.

"Spit it out, Jeff."

"I-I've been flirting with you." Jeff said quietly. Jeff was never quiet.

"Shut up."

"What?" Jeff asked, he was hurt.

"I said shut up!" Stone shouted. He thought this was one of Jeff's elaborate pranks. He didn't allow himself to fall for it.

"Ok."

They stayed silent for a while. Stone was almost finished with the brand new pack of cigarettes he had just bought for the party.

"Why are you still here?" Stone asked. He didn't think he had ever spent so much time alone with Jeff. Especially in silence.

"I told you I'm not leaving."

"Why not?" Stone asked. "You always leave. Usually after you call me some demeaning name."

"I know. I'm sorry." Jeff apologized.

"You're what?" Stone asked, wondering if he heard right.

"Don't make me say it again." Jeff said.

"I didn't think you were capable of saying that word." Stone laughed.

Jeff was so happy when he heard that laugh of his. "I'm capable of many things, Stoney."

Stone looked at him peculiarly, "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" He asked.

"Stone, I know I'm an asshole. But I'm capable of more than that. I'm capable of,"

Stone watched him carefully. Jeff's sentence trailed off and Stone thought he had heard enough.

"Even when my expectations are low as can be, somehow you still find a way to disappoint me." Stone said crushing out his cigarette on the ground and heading inside. Stone had his hand on the doorknob when he felt Jeff's hand on his shoulder. Stone looked over his shoulder  at Jeff.

"I'm capable of love, Stone."

Stone stared at him long and hard. He tried to search for a hint of humor in his eyes but he was left empty handed. He concluded that Jeff was serious.