home

They walked in the rain, fast paced as they wanted to be inside as soon as possible.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to get my car until tomorrow." Jerry admitted. "You can stay over night, if you want and we can get it tomorrow."

"Sure, but only if it's alright with you." Layne said and Jerry promised that it was.

They reached a tall grey apartment building that Jerry said was his. Relief washed over the two men as they entered the lobby. They got in the elevator and Jerry pushed the button to his floor. They walked down a long winding hall that reeked of smoke until Jerry stopped in front of a particular door. He dug into his pocket for his keys and opened the door.

"This is my humble home. Sorry for the mess, I know it's expected as you saw how I keep my classroom." Jerry apologized for the the state of his apartment. Which like he said, was just what Layne expected. He had dishes to the ceiling, trash piled up, oddities laying around and strange decor.

The centerpiece of his kitchen table was an ashtray. "You smoke?" Layne asked.

"Yeah, it's a bad habit of mine. Do you?" Jerry asked in return.

"Yup, started when I was 12." Layne said, Jerry's eyes widened but he didn't make a comment. "Hey, could I call my mom to let her know I'm not dead?" Layne asked.

"Of course." Jerry said, handing Layne the landline. Layne dialed his home phone number and after the fourth ring his mother picked up. He told a lie about having a sleepover with Sean and Mike that she seemed to believe.

"Alright, Love you. Bye." He said hanging up.

"Do you want a change of clothes?" Layne didn't get to answer before Jerry spoke again. "You know what, just follow me." Jerry said starting down the narrow hall and sliding through a half opened door.

Layne followed Jerry into what he assumed was his bedroom. His large bed took up most of the room other than an old dresser that was crammed in the corner. Layne also saw a vintage record player and vinyls splayed across the floor.

Jerry faced the wall as he started to tug off his black tie and unbutton his dress shirt. He threw it off and exposed his bare upper body. Layne noticed a couple tattoos on the man.

"Nice tattoos." Layne complimented.

"Thanks, man." Jerry said, pulling his khakis off. Layne never thought he'd see his teacher in his boxers but today he did. It wasn't that weird, they were both men. There was nothing to be embarrassed about. Jerry put on a plain old black t shirt and grey sweat pants and then raided his dresser for an outfit for Layne. When he found an acceptable combination of items he tossed them at Layne. "You can change in here." He said before leaving the room.

Layne tore off his wet clothes and put on what Jerry had picked. Which happened to be an oversized band tee and black sweatpants. Layne was comfortable and he couldn't help but notice the scent the clothing had. It was like cigarettes which wasn't surprising but also a sweet musk.

When Layne was done he walked back out to see Jerry sitting on the couch. Layne sat next to him and saw that he was watching the trailer for a new horror movie.

"I've been wanting to see this and it's finally out." Jerry said all giddy and childlike. "Do you mind if we watch it? Do you like scary moves? We can always pick something else if you don't like it-"

Layne smiled at Jerry's considerate nature. "I'm down." He said and Jerry nodded and rented the movie.

Jerry turned off the lamp next to him and the television illuminated the dark room. Layne slipped off his shades and placed them on the coffee table. Jerry looked over at Layne. He realized he was seeing him without his sunglasses for the first time.