; Prologue

The cold weather from the storm outside was clear and prominent as everyone in the bricked house was tightly covered in blankets. Although the old, rustic building was quiet with hints of the whirring sounds from the storm, some of the residents still struggled with finding sleep.

"Akira," the youngest member, Amber, whispered to the girl lying below her on the floor, "are you asleep?"

Akira grumbled in return, allowing Amber to know she was trying to sleep and was being disrupted by her words."I think there's something outside," Amber continued, this time peeking her arm out of her heavy blankets and shaking Akira's shoulders.

Akira seethed and mumbled in response, "it's just the storm, Amber. The winds are causing loud noises so just go to sleep."

Sighing in defeat, Amber turned back into the sofa again as she put her blankets over her head in hopes of blocking the sound that she knew she heard.

'It couldn't have been the storm,' she thought to herself, 'it sounds familiar like...'

Suddenly, Amber flung off the blankets as she heard the sound again and rushed out the door. It was too familiar of a sound and the thing she thought it was had terrified her, especially if it was outside. Bringing her arms close to her body in hopes of gaining some sort of heat against the raging snowstorm outside, Amber's eyes flew open as she realized just what the sound was.

"It's a baby," she barely whispered before instinctively picking up the blanket-wrapped infant and rushing it into the contrastingly warm house. "Akira wake up!" Amber called, waking up everyone in the small house that barely fit the five residents.

"What's going on?" Alex, Akira's brother, questioned as he ran out of his room after hearing Amber's panicked voice.

"I heard a noise coming from outside and it's a baby!" she answered, hurriedly bringing the baby to the fireplace at the center of the living room that she had previously slept in.

Akira scooted towards the young child as she asked for permission to hold it to which Amber didn't oppose, "Shh~" she cooed, "it's going to be okay."

"What are we going to do with her?" Amber questioned, resting herself beside the fireplace after her adrenaline subsided.

"Well, we should first get her warmed up since her hands and cheeks are freezing. Tomorrow we can look for her parents or go to the village and see if anyone recognizes her at all since she looks at least two to three months old," Akira instructed as she rested the baby's head on her shoulder, fixing the blankets on top of her.

"How are we going to take care of this kid when we have a huge mission coming up soon..." Alex spoke quietly, sitting on the couch with his head in his hands as the quiet atmosphere became more and more evident.

The three knew it was the question on everyone's minds, and it was something that would need to be discussed with Anna and Adrien who were too tired to be awake. The five of them were known to be the most successful group in the business and no other gang wished to come near them due to their connections and specialties in fighting and weaponry. 

"Akira can't even go on the mission since she has to look after Akio- "

Amber was promptly cut off by Akira who responded in anger, "I'm going on that mission. As the leader of this group I need to be there."

"Then who the hell is going to take care of the kids? I can't believe I'm even asking this," Alex sighed in stress, getting up from the couch, "we shouldn't even have kids! We're criminals for god's sake's we can't stress over this kind of shit!"

"So, what do you wanna do? Kill them?"

The room became quiet as Adrien appeared from the dim light of the hallway connecting the living room to the bedrooms. If Akira was the leader, then Adrien was the man above even her. Although Akira had created the group, Adrien was the one to put everyone in place as not a single person disobeyed him and if someone ever did... They were never able to tell.

"A-Adrien,"Alex stuttered, before being cut off by Adrien.

"We do kill people, of course, every group does. Can a gang that doesn't kill be considered a gang?" Adrien remarked, his voice deep and raspy, "but we aren't monsters, Alex. You've just recently joined us so you wouldn't know but we don't kill kids under any circumstances."

"Ah, Amber! You will be watching over the young ones tomorrow as the four of us will finally put our disgusting 'rivals' in their place," Adrien announced as he put his hand on Amber's shoulder.

Adrien was like a father to the other four as he was the oldest. Being 48 years old had not taken a toll on his performance, however, since he was the best shooter and the best at hand-to-hand combat out of everyone. The man trained every kid on his own, with the help of Akira, his wife, of course.

Amber simply nodded in response, knowing that everyone said yes to Adrien and nothing else. "I'll try my best even though this task isn't as close to being as difficult as what you all have to do..."

"Don't be silly, young one. Every task in life is hard... it simply depends on your circumstances and your position. Rich and poor people live tough lives and even though one has a better life, we can't say their life isn't as difficult." Adrien did always manage to turn everything into a lesson; it wasn't nagging, however, more like a lesson that you keep with you even if it's small and simple.

"You three go to sleep," Akira spoke quietly, "the baby's asleep and I can take care of her for the night..."

Nodding, the three went back to their sleeping quarters as Amber took to Akira's bed.

"What are we going to do with you..." Akira whispered to the young child in her arms as she too drifted to sleep.

———————————————

Hi hi everyone i'm G and I know I finally decided to publish my Ateez fic here! I write on Quotev and Tumblr but I decided I wanted to expand and write in more areas especially since I still use Wattpad to read other stories :) 

I hope you all enjoyed this intro and remember, this chapter's JUST a prologue though so the main characters will come soon :))