Chapter XVII

"Come on girls! The bus leaves in five minutes and half of you still aren't dressed!" This is the third time she's called into the locker room and I want to slam her head against the wall. We know, we get it, the bus is here and we could possible be late to the game. Honestly, who cares? Everyone goes to watch the football game, no one goes to watch the cheerleaders on the sidelines.

"I hate her" Cambrie mumbles beside me. She and I have been ready for some time, but we've been waiting for our friends to be ready.

I don't acknowledge what she says, but I silently agree. I try not to encourage her negative attitude too much. Cambrie's the only freshman I've really gotten to know, but the girls has high highs and low lows, and you never know which version of her you're going to get. Today just so happens to be the negative Nancy version.

"Ignore her, she's just stressed" I explain, getting up when Sofia motions me over to the door.

"How does Marcus feel about the game today?" she asks at the same time she texts Jon and I almost think about ignoring her. She might as well not talk to me if she's going to attempt to multitask communication, which never, ever works.

"I didn't ask him, but he didn't say anything bad about the team. I assume that means he's confident" I answer.

"Really? Jon told me all the new varsity players suck ass. They must have different ideas of what's good or not." I don't like the way she said that. She may have not meant it, but it sounds like she thinks Jon knows more than Marcus about the team.

"Well, they don't have to play all of the players. I'm sure they'll only play the new ones if they're a shoe in to win" I reply, trying not to get too defensive. I try to be as non-confrontational as possible, but by the look on her face I can tell she can tell.

"Stop that. Marcus is the captain. I'm sure the coach has talked to him more about the game than he has any other guy. I'm not questioning him, don't worry" she defends herself from my previous statement.

"How are you and Jon?" I change the subject before she guilt trips me to the max.

"We're good. I think this is the right time for us now, Manda. I really think it is. It's never felt like this before with him, he's the perfect gentelman and I love everything he does for me" she says with a dreamy look in her eyes. I can't express the amount of times I've tried to tell her he's no good, but at this point I've given up. Every time they get back together they have a new honeymoon period for the first month or two. Then they go back to where they were before, a.k.a Jon screwing up and Sofia ends up heartbroken and crying over him. But, hey, it's her life and if she's happy for the time being, I'm happy for her.

"He better stay that way" I comment, something else I say every time they get back together, fully aware that their relationship will make another cycle through the good, bad, ugly and breakup.

"He will. He told me he loves me Manda! He's only said that to me the first time we began to date!" she exclaims. This I'm surprised about. Even though Sofia and Jon are "that couple", the couple that kisses up on each other at every change they get, showing an excessive amount of PDA, one thing that Sofia's confessed to me was that Jon never would say he loves her, other than freshman year when they went on their third date together. Maybe this time is different. I want to be optimistic, but I still have to see it to believe it.

I don't even bother asking her if she loves him back, I already know the answer. If she didn't, or at least didn't think she loves him, she wouldn't keep going back after all the times he's thrown her away. I can't stand to watch it happen, but there's no possible way to talk someone out of a toxic relationship. Everyone's tried for four years now, and here we are yet again.