Chapter IX

Stepping out of my mom's Cadillac escalade I feel the cool breeze of the new autumn air. It's chilly against my exposed legs, but I coulnd't care less. Fall is my favorite season and I make the most of the two months it's here.

"Mom why couldn't I go to Trevor's tonight? We're here every Sunday, can't I skip at least one dinner?" Holden whines, looking at his phone. I don't blame him actually, I'd like to have a Sunday night to myself, but there's no way that will ever happen. When I was born my grandparents had moved into the town next to us, and since then Sunday dinner's at the grandparents has been thing for our family. Not that I don't love seeing Gran and Gramps, but it's a little suffocating seeing them all the time.

"Because you know Sundays are for family time. Now put your phone away before you don't have it at all" she replies and Holden grudgidly puts it back into his pocket as we enter their house, grumbling about how stupid this is when Emma elbows him in the stomach. Holden glares down at her, being he's at least six inches taller than her, but he never tries to bring up confrontation with Emma. It must be a twin thing, because he doesn't have a problem bickering with everyone else in the family.

I brush my dress off and plaster a smile on my tired face when we walk in on my grandparents waiting for us on the shiny leather couch they're always sitting on. They stand up when they see us, and as always are dressed to the nines for Sunday dinner.

"Hi! How are you? Give me a hug" my gran wraps her arms around me, and I inhale, smelling her perfume, and her soft cheek rubbing against mine when she leans in.

"Good" I reply "Not too busy yet, but that's going to change next week". I explain when she goes to hug Holden, who has to bend down in a Quasimodo-like fashion to hug her properly. Walking to the dining room we sit down at the large chestnut table with stiff, matching chairs. The incredible feast is laid before us and I can't wait to eat everything on the table.

"Amanda you should bring your boyfriend over next week. We would love to meet him!" Gran says and I almost choke on my chicken. I never told my parents, let alone my grandparents about Marcus. How the hell did they figure it out?

"How did you know I'm dating anyone?" I ask. My grandparents also don't live in the same town, so they wouldn't get any gossip from other old people.

"You're dating someone?" my dad interjects. "Who? When did this happen?"

"Your mother told us" Gramps answers, as my Gran looks wistfully in my direction.

"You knew?" my dad almost yells at my mom. I look at Holden and Emma for any indication of betrayal, but they look as confused as I do. So either they have no idea what's going on, or one of them is really good at acting.

"Yes, Jenna told me" she tells my dad, putting her hand on top of his to calm him down. My dad takes a deep breath and runs his other hand down his face.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth. But when did you start dating him?" he asks me again, this time in a restrained voice.

"Just since last Saturday. It's literally been a week" I answer and shove more food into my mouth to do something other than twiddle with my thumbs.

"Why didn't you tell us? Why does Mrs. Sloane know but not your own parents?" he demands, progressively becoming more aggitated again, and I see my mom's hand grip a little tighter on his.

"I went over his house during the party on Saturday night. She was home and we talked a bit, and it's not like I would lie to her."

Suddenly there's a scraping noise against the floor and from the corner of my eye I see Holden get up from his chair and walk out of the dining room.