Chapter 22

CLOVE

I can't watch. I tried and tried but I just couldn't. I honestly don't even know if Cato is still alive. I sit in my chair, staring at the wall with a blank expression on my face. I occasionally glance at the clock. I watch the seconds turn to minutes, and minutes turn to hours. This is how I spent the last day. As a mentor, I should be fishing for sponsors to help Cato and Enobaria. I finally force myself out of my chair to go find Brutus. I guess he was looking for me too.

"Clove, I know it's hard, but I really need you to help me with the sponsors." Brutus says. I look at the floor and nod.

"Is Cato alright?" I ask in a hushed voice.

"Yes." He replied. I guess it helps knowing that Cato still has a chance at victory.

I turn my head up to the television hanging on the wall to see Cato, Finnick, and Enobaria rummaging through supplies in the cornucopia. Then the shot moves to Haymitch, the drunk man from district 12, surprisingly working with Madge who is also from 12. Haymitch gets a fire going as Madge sharpens a few knives. I can't bear to watch any of this so I leave the room. As I'm walking down a long, dim hallway, I begin to hear an argument. I follow the sound of the voices to find a door guarded with peacekeepers. One turns to me.

"Mrs. Hadley I don't think you should be over here." He says. I gulp. He called me Mrs. Hadley, a way to remind me that I there is a slim chance that I will ever be called that again.

"Okay." I say. I turn the corner and begin to leave when I hear a familiar voice. An old, raspy voice that I can only describe as death itself. The voice I was hearing belongs to President Snow. I can't help myself but to press my ear to the wall.

"But sir, the Capital is furious. It can't be long before another outbreak!" A voice says.

"I don't care. We already started the games so there's no going back as long as I'm in charge." Snow replied. They wanted to cancel the games. That's what everyone wanted but Snow. And another outbreak? There has been an outbreak?

"Mrs. Hadley, I thought I told you that you shouldn't be here!" The peacekeeper says.

"Sorry!" I say. Then I walk down the hallway to the room where we send in sponsor gifts. There is a big comfortable couch behind a large screen that has buttons that shows you all the tributes and what they were doing. Instead of watching that, I grab the remote and change it to some cooking show. I order a steak and a glass of water, and enjoy it while I watch the show. I watch as the competitors over react when they slightly over cook their chicken. Only if I could worry about those types of things. I reach for the remote when someone grabs my wrist. It was Brutus. He was shedding a tear as he yanked me up.

"What are we doing? Where are we going." I ask. Brutus pauses.

"We're getting revenge." He says flatly.

"On who and what?" I ask. Brutus stops and turns around to face me.

"Have you been watching the games?" He asks.

"No." I answer. He trembles as he says his next words.

"Clove... Enobaria is dead."