Chapter 9

*Cato's P.O.V*

I feel an urge to kill someone. Not anyone. Ian. He did his one job too well, and he would suffer the consequences.

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!" I shout. The adrenaline is coursing through my veins.

"I...I don't know!" Ian cries. I get furious, and stomp up to the boy. I reach for his neck and swiftly snap it to the side, draining the life from his body. He drops to the ground. A cannon fires. Clove tries to calm me down by telling me whoever blew up the supplies had to be dead. I eventually do calm down.

Later we hear 2 more cannons. The hovercrafts pick the bodies up in the woods. One of them could be Marvel. He stayed to look for the person who set the fire. He could have gotten killed. I guess we're gonna find out tonight.

"How many tributes are left?" Clove asks.

"6." I respond. She smiles. I put my arm around her.

"What are we gonna do. Only one of us can win." Clove says.

"I promise we'll be together. We either both win the games, or not at all." I say. She smiles, then we kiss for a long time until we are interrupted.

"Attention tributes!" Claudius Temple's voice boomed over the speaker. He was probably announcing a feast.

"There has been a slight rule change. Two victors may now be crowned if they originate from the same district. This will be the only announcement."

A smile creeps across my lips. We can win together. Me and Clove. We can go home to district 2 and live together. Clove begins laughing with so much happiness, and I join in.

That night, Marvel, the girl from 11, and Ian were in the sky. I guess Marvel did die. I wonder how.

"I guess it's just you and me now." Clove says. I smile.

"Yep. No more annoying district 1." I replied. "You should get some sleep. I'll keep watch."

"Okay. Wake me up though so you can sleep too." Clove says. Clove slides into a sleeping and I sit next to her. After a while, she falls asleep. She looks so peaceful just laying there. What did I ever do to deserve her.

Clove wakes up a few hours later, and makes me sleep. I lay in the sleeping bag, and slumber. I wake up,to the smell of something good. I opened my eyes, and I saw fresh pancakes with butter and syrup!

"Where did you get those?" I ask.

"It's a gift from our sponsors." Clove says while she bites into one. "Eat up!"

I grabbed 2 pancakes and ate them slowly, savoring the flavor. Ever sense the supplies blew up, we had no food.

"You think we should try to hunt so we can get some food?" Clove asks.

"Sure." I answered. "But I don't really know how."

"It can't be much different than killing a human." She says. I agree. It has to be about the same.

We hunt for a few hours. We managed to kill two rabbits before we head back to camp. I build a fire, and Clove shoves a metal rod through both rabbits and sticks them over the fire, slowly rotating.

"I hope we're doing this right." Clove says.

"It'll work." I respond. When the rabbits look done, we take them off and cut them up. I get one and Clove gets the other.

"Don't eat it all. It might have to last a while." Clove tells me. I ate two legs and wrapped the rest in plastic. Then I stuffed the rest into my bag.

Clove and I look for other tributes the rest of the day, but find nobody. When we give up and begin walking back towards camp, there is yet another announcement.

"Attention tributes! There will be a feast tomorrow at dawn at the cornucopia. Now, this isn't an ordinary feast, you each need something desperately. For some of you, this could be your last chance." Claudius Temple's voice echoed throughout the arena. A feast! They always end with dead people. Every time.

"What do you think we need desperately?" Clove asks.

"I'm not sure, maybe some supplies or something." I say. Tomorrow morning is gonna get bloody.