Chapter 20

*Cato's Pov*

I'm suddenly shook by the movement beneath my feet. I rise to the surface of the arena. Beneath me is water and I am suddenly overwhelmed with fear. I never learned how to swim. I shake off the fear and think "How hard can it be?"

I spot a rack of swords and spears in the cornucopia. I aim my legs in that direction. When the gong sounds, I jump off my pedestal without hesitation. My arms push through the water with my legs kicking behind me. When I go up to take a breath, a bit of water seeped into my mouth. It was salt water.

I was right, swimming isn't hard. I swim over to a patch of skinny land and climb up. I sprint towards the cornucopia and arm myself with weapons. I zip around to find my fellow career members armed as well. I look around and laugh as I see the drunk man from district 12 floating face first in the water. He must have belly flopped off. Next I see Madge from district 12 standing on her pedestal shaking with fear. Her eyes widen when she sees me. The spear I threw travels in her direction. Unfortunately, she dives into the water, dodging the spear. My weapon sinks into the water. I curse under my breath. I spot a few other tributes, and spear them as well. They, however, die. I also slice Johanna Mason up with a sword. Not so brave and powerful now is she? After the tributes at the cornucopia are dead, I gather up supplies with the other careers when I notice something. Finnick isn't with us.

"Hey where's Finnick?" I ask. Gloss looks around.

"Damn! Traitor!" Gloss yells. I scowl. Finnick would pay for this. Gloss means to make him suffer.

"I bet you he went off with Mags." Enobaria says.

"Who's Mags?" I ask.

"Mags is the old woman from district 4. She won the 8th Hunger Games." Cashmere answers.

"Oh." I say.

"Anyway, lets go hunt for tributes, possibly even Finnick." Gloss says. We follow him through the jungle. I always liked Finnick. He was kind, but funny at the same time. Too bad he's gonna have to die. We walk about a mile when a boom startled me. At first, I thought it was a cannon, but it doesn't sound like it. I counted 11 booms. I'm not sure what it means, but I will surely figure it out eventually.

"What was that?" Cashmere asks.

"I don't know. It's not what the cannon sounds like." Enobaria says.

"We'll figure it out eventually." I say. Then we continue walking. We then hear the cannons from the cornucopia this morning. 10 deaths today. A few more hours of walking in the humid forest pass by until we realized something. We had not spotted any fresh water. There was salt water near the cornucopia, but even I'm smart enough to know not to drink it. Then, a little silver parachute floats down and lands in my hands.

"What is it?" Gloss asks.

"I don't know." I say. I examine the metal thing in my hand. Then another parachute falls. This one contains a bucket with a note inside. It said: Use the metal thing to get water from trees. Put the water into the bucket. ~ Brutus and Clove

"Give me!" Cashmere says. She stabs the metal thing into the tree, and water began pouring out. We collect it into our bucket. I shove the note into my pocket. That note and my wedding ring is all I have left of Clove at the moment, and I can't loose them. We drink water and chat for about an hour until we hear a twig snap from behind me. I zip around.

"What a lovely surprise!" I say.

A/n:

So for the quarter quell, most of the chapters will be from Cato's Pov. Also, I will be making the arena and death order different so you don't know what will happen next. If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments. Thanks!