Chapter 18

*Clove's Pov*

Today was the reaping. I force myself up and put on a decent outfit. I am devastated about the change of events. I went from the happiest girl in the world to the most depressed. I walk with Cato to the reaping. We don't bother speaking to each other.

When we arrived, the victors are lined up on stage. I frown as I take my place. Salia begins to speak.

"Welcome to the 75th annual Hunger Games!" She says. Salia managed to put a smile on her face, but I could definitely tell that she was holding back tears.

"Of course, Ladies first." She walks over to the bowl with four slips of paper. She grabs the first one she encounters. She opens it and gulps.

"Clove Sevina." She says. I knew it. As I walk over to take my place, I am stopped.

"I volunteer." Enobaria says. I am too shocked to say anything.

"It's okay Clove." She says.

"Now for the boys." Salia says. She grabbed one of the six slips.

"Cato Hadley!" She says. Cato scowls and walks to his spot. When nobody volunteers, Enobaria looks shocked, and she glared back at the other male victors.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our tributes from district 2, Cato Hadley and Enobaria Erwin!" Salia says. My eyes narrowed. Cato was going back into the Hunger Games, and I was going to do everything to make sure he comes back.

Cato and Enobaria are taken into the Justice building. I would be Enobaria's mentor.

After goodbyes are said, Cato and Enobaria meet Brutus and I in the train. I run I into Cato's arms and sob. He holds me and whispers in my ear:

"It'll be okay. I promise I will come back." He says. As I cry into his chest, the shout of someone's voice startled me.

"BRUTUS YOU SON OF A B***! WHY DIDN'T YOU VOLUNTEER!" Enobaria screams.

"I'm not just gonna throw my life away for two little kids!" Brutus replied.

"EXACTLY! THEY ARE TOO YOUNG TO DIE! THEY DESERVED TO BE HAPPY, BUT YOU'RE TO SELFISH TO CARE ABOUT ANYONE BUT YOURSELF!" She yells. A peacekeeper had to pull Enobaria away to stop her from harming Brutus. Then Brutus walks into a different room, leaving Cato and I alone.

Too stunned to speak, I just stand there, until Cato says something.

"We should watch the other reapings to see who I'm up against." Cato says. We make our way over to the TV and turn it on. In district one, the brother and sister Cashmere and Gloss are reaped. In district 3, Beetee, a man who electrocuted 6 tributes at once, was reaped. In district 4, Finick Odair, the youngest person to ever win the games, was chosen. In district 7, Johana Mason was drawn. But what caught my eyes was district 12. They only had that drunk guy who won the 50th Hunger Games, so they had to reap a girl. They drew a 17 year old girl named Mage who I guess was the mayor's daughter.

"We'll get through this. I promise." Says Cato.

"You have to win." I whispered.

*Cato's Pov*

"I will." I replied. I begin kissing her. Then, we go to my room.

I wake up the next morning forgetting everything that happened the night before until I see my clothes on the floor, with Clove sleeping next to me. I get up, put my clothes back on, and leave to go get breakfast.

Two days after the opening ceremonies, we begin training. I intimidate the other tributes by cutting of heads of dummies. I meet my fellow Careers, Gloss and Cashmere. We decided to ask Finnick if he wanted to join our group, and he said yes. We showed off our skills the next couple of days. This was going to be a hell of a show.