Chapter 21

*Cato's Pov*

I am staring at the girl, knife in hand, from district 12.

"Little district 12 weakling is about to die. Goodbye little girl!" Gloss says while making a pouty face. Madge smirks.

"Not on my watch." She says. Then she throws her knife in Gloss' direction. It rotates through the air and finds its way into Gloss' chest.

"Gloss!" Cashmere cries. We all are distracted with Gloss, and I hear rapid footsteps of someone running away.

"Damnit she got away!" I yell. Cashmere is crying by Gloss, begging him to stay with her. After a minute, a cannon fires. Then Cashmere completely looses it.

"You!" She yells, pointing in my direction. "If you just killed her then my brother would still be alive!"

I back away slowly, and she picks up a knife. I position a spear.

"Don't make me do this Cashmere." I say. Then she lunges towards me. I hurl the spear through her before I can be harmed, and Cashmere hits the ground. Her cannon fires.

"Why did she try to kill you?" Enobaria asks. I think for a bit when the thought hits me,

"Insanity. Gloss' death drove her insane." I say. Enobaria nods. Then the leaves nearby rustle, and Finnick pops out.

"I've been looking for you!" He says.

"But you ran away from us at the cornucopia! We thought you left the group!" I say.

"I was chased by someone. I managed to get a trident though. I had to get away from the cornucopia before he killed me." Finnick answers.

"Oh. I see." Enobaria says.

"Where is Cashmere and Gloss?" Finnick asks. I look at Enobaria. She takes a deep breath and explains everything that happened.

That night, the faces of Cashmere, Gloss, The woman from 3, Mags, both from five, the woman from 6, both from 7, the woman from 8, the man from 9, and the man from 10 were illuminated in the sky. Somehow the man from 12 I saw face first in the water survived. He couldn't make it much longer though.

Finnick, Enobaria and I sleep in shifts that night. We talk about the games and what would happen tomorrow. Then, those booms begin again. Lightning crashes onto a tree, and a storm begins on one part of the arena. I eventually fall asleep to the rhythmic sound of the raindrops hitting the ground.

I wake up by a scream of agony. It was Finnick. I open my eyes to see a large blob of fog moving towards me. I guess it has some effect that harms people if I touches you. I grab a sword and spear and sprint away. Finnick and Enobaria follow. When we reach the cornucopia, Finnick shows us his injury. His hand if covered in puss filled blisters. He winces in pain as we try to treat it, but nothing's working. Then, a little silver parachute floats down to us. Finnick's name was written on top. He finds a small jar filled with an ugly colored ointment. He applied the medicine onto his had, and lets out a sigh of relief.

"Better?" I ask

"Much, much better." He replies.

We spend the rest of the night in the cornucopia. I think about Clove. It must be so hard for her to watch as I am in the games. I know she would gladly take my place. I just wish there were some world, some dimension where we could be happy. Together.