XXI

"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak."

-Sun Tzu.

assault on stohess

"ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME KICKED OUT?" Jean shrieked as Katerina landed next to him on the roof, a chunky chimney obscuring them both from sight.

Katerina rolled her eyes and she nudged his shoulder, his cloak coming loose and tangling with his blades.

"Maybe before," she admitted, smirking at him. "But I hate to admit that your horse face is growing on me."

Jean ignored her backhanded compliment as he groaned, moving his hand over his eyes to block the sun as he furrowed his brows at her. "Captain Levi is going to kill me, me not, you. I think he's figured out by now that punishing you leads him nowhere. I, on the other hand, am delicate."

"Delicate is right," Katerina snorted, peeking her head over the chimney. "Do we have eyes on them yet?"

"Devlin," he snapped seriously, what are you doing here?"

"Stop giving me that look, Katerina. You're not coming with us."

Katerina was laying on the bed, the sheets rustling around her as she freed her legs and stood up.

"You don't get to tell me that," she countered, throwing Levi a snide look as she searched for her underwear. "I'm here and I want to make myself useful."

"Don't you think you've already done that?" Levi teased as he finished with the last button of his shirt, a knowing smirk remaining on his face.

"Very funny," she muttered, lightly tousling his already combed hair, the memories of last night dancing around her mind making her stomach flutter. "But I'm serious Levi."

"Of course you are," he huffed, fumbling with the straps of his gear. "But I'm serious too."

Katerina rolled her eyes and she knelt down in front of him, helping him secure the straps.

"How do you expect me to just sit here while this plan goes through?" she asked, her fingers lingering on his thighs, a soft smile on her face.

Through Armin's genius mind, the Scouts had figured out that the Female Titan was none other than Annie Leonhart. Katerina wished she could have been more shocked at the revelation, but in truth, she had always had suspicious feelings towards the grumpy blonde. She hated that she was constantly compared to her, people thinking that they were more alike than different. But Katerina could be many things; stubborn, hard-headed, quick-tempered, and rude, but she was no traitor. Although no one could figure out how Annie had the ability to transform like Eren, her origins were still unknown. It was suspected that she had sneaked in through the chaos of the Fall of Wall Maria, which begged the question, were there more of them out there?