Chap Six: I'll haunt your dreams.

Start from the beginning

"Listen to me Ivan, I told you not to just spring it on her. You know she was already scared of you and no one knows about her past according to her. Why did you ask her about her mother?" He all but shouted at my ear through the cell phone that he had taught me to use.

"I don't know why I'm obligated to use this .. device. We could just telepath with each other." I reminded him.

"No. You have to be normal and today's people cannot live without the 'useless device'." Sarcasm becomes him.

"Just tell me what should I say to her when she wakes up?" I demanded. Adrianna had been in the bedroom since four hours and now it was awfully late. Though I had been worried about her but I had tried to treat her with my healing powers. Now when she woke up I would know for sure if she was okay.

"You tell her about her mother of course but gently, Ivan. And listen, the situation in the Avalon is not good. We are losing to the Sinclair Clan and Antonio has escaped. I'm pretty sure that he will come here to take Adrianna and that's why I wasn't ready to telepath. Antonio will sense us and know; also you have to be careful with your arrows and not to mention your wings. And you just have to keep Adrianna safe." He finished and my jaw tightened.

Antonio. The man because of which I was banished from The Avalon.

"Damnation." I muttered.

"Tell her as gently as possible and also Queen Victoria has ordered that you keep Adrianna down there as long as the battle continues and that could be for a while. But you have to be back with her for the coronation ball. So, try and explain and let her say yes, if she says no even once then the whole point of you saving her will be a joke." He warned. My insides froze. There was no easy or gentle way to break this news to Adrianna.

How could I tell her that her mother was the Queen of The Avalon, the fairyland and that she was fighting a war to save the whole man-kind against the wretched Sinclair, namely her uncle? Or the fact that she was the sole heir and the fairy princess of The Avalon.

There was no easy or gentle way to break this news to Adrianna.

"I will tell her the truth and then let ..." I was saying when I heard Adrianna shriek.

Antonio.

I dropped the phone and then ran to her room.

"GET ME OUT OF HERE. Scared of the dark, PLEASE!" Adrianna was shouting and thumping on the bed.

"Adrianna, Adrianna. It's okay, it's me." I said and held on to her hand, she was still shuddering but mumbling 'please, Uncle Sinclair' again and again.

What kind of a monster had he been to her? How could he even do this to a small child of the age she had been? He was a bastard through and through.

"Adrianna. Ssshhh. It's me, Ivan. You're safe." I said and then she opened her tear drenched eyes, the fury that went through me when I saw the pool of water in her eyes was unimaginable. Right then I wanted to kill Sinclair for hitting and hurting her.

"Ivan. Oh thank God." She breathed and then she pressed herself to me. I was shocked, I was but now Adrianna was sobbing against my chest.

"Oh, Ivan. I had a .. bad dream." She sobbed and against all my reserves, my fury melted away and involuntarily my arm's went around her.

"It's okay, Adrianna. Nobody will hurt you, here. I promise." I whispered in her hairs and she nodded.

"I'm sorry." She said but didn't let go of me, she sniffed and then slowly raised her head from my chest.

"I blotted your shirt." She said whispering brokenly.

"It doesn't matter. Are you alright?" I demanded and she nodded. She seemed... embaressed. God, it was so frustrating to not know what she was thinking. And at this moment I really wanted to hog her mind.

"Adrianna? You know I have some things to tell you about." I started and again she nodded but didn't say anything.

"Do you think you can hear me out?" I asked and then again she raised her eyes to mine and at that moment even if she would have said yes, I wouldn't have told her.

Her green eyes had gone blank and she looked so sad. I knew then that she was remembering her mother and now was not the good time.

"Yea... no." She said and it confirmed my doubts.

"It's okay. We have all the time. You rest; I will get you some of that wretched coffee." I said and through her teary eyes, she gave me a slow smile. That smile affected me like nothing could ever have done. Her smile had shown me a little trace of hope and trust.

And that was a good enough start for me.