Chapter 14 - Queen to Knight

Start from the beginning

Paintings of numerous top Generals of the USM since its formation lined the walls as he marched forward. The size of them felt that their ego and personalities had been poured into the soul of the paintings. Men and Women who had been influential in the success of the military stared down on the mere mortals that deemed it necessary to walk past them.

A wave of bitterness flocked Jason as he took each step forward. His father's picture should be up there too, a hero in his time, one that now spent his days in hiding.

He saluted the various officers as he walked along the corridor. Some of them looked a bit confused at his presence. While it wasn't uncommon for a Sergeant to be running errands within these walls, no soldier of the 223rd Rifles had ever set foot in this place.

Why had he been sent here?

The final room opened to show a massive room of a mixture of past and present. In between its metallic blue screens, computerised terminals and massive data library, it was full of mahogany and oak. Old fashioned chairs with soft curved armrests, wooden tables and an old chest set in the centre of one.

Jason just stood in amazement at the time parody that he had to embrace.

"Sit down Sergeant." A voice came from across the room. A voice that he instantly recognised.

Jason saluted as the door behind him closed with a smile on his face. It had felt like a long time since he felt his facial muscles form any kind of smile.

"No need for the formalities Jason, not behind these closed doors." The voice boomed across the room. He knew there was a smile behind the moustache, there always was, but Jason had forgotten how much he missed it along with the plump figure of General Vladimir Proviski. That smile always made him feel at ease.

"Uncle." Jason sat on the wooden chair and found it somewhat uncomfortable at first, desperately trying to find the best way for him to sit in the seat correctly. The wooden armrests seem to just add to the discomfort. He could not contemplate how people sat comfortably on these archaic pieces of furniture.

Vladimir poured himself a drink of some strange dark orange substance that Jason had never seen before. Pouring it into a small glass it seemed the amount that he had placed in the glass was insignificant and pointless but as he swirled it in his hand and smiled, Jason felt compelled to take it from him.

"Don't drink it too quickly." Vladimir responded.

Jason smelt the drink but it didn't seem to have any distinguishable smell to it. Eventually, he apprehensively took a gulp of it.

Initially, there was little taste until he really felt the kick in the back of his throat. The burning sensation was painful but exhilarating at the same time "Oh wow!" Jason coughed struggling to remove the kicking sensation that was bursting within his mouth.

There was a deep chuckle from Vladimir. "Impressive stuff isn't it?"

Jason tried to respond but just coughed more now his chest felt like it wanted to explode out of his body. He nodded instead.

Vladimir sat down at the desk in front of Jason, instantly the desk came to life displaying various reports.

Giving him an opportunity to gather his breathing again he took another sip before asking his first question. "The Ceti's, what do you make of them?"

It was a strange first question, but it was an interesting question to ask. One which no one had asked him, or anyone he knew, before. "In what context?" Jason replied.

Vladimir smiled, he picked up quickly that Jason wasn't going to dismiss the question as pointless unlike a number of other soldiers would have done in his position. "Good question." he responded. "And so you know, nothing said in this room will go further. The Ceti's as individuals, what do you think?"