Chapter Seven: On Your Side

Arthur drove Rose home after she got dressed, knowing she probably wanted to have a little time to herself before she starts work tonight. Sitting in the jeep, he watches as she skips up the stairs of her porch towards the front door. Before she walks inside she turns around and waves goodbye to him. Arthur waves back as he leans out of the open window. She closes the door, reassuring him she has returned home safely. Leaning back into his seat, he goes to turn on the engine when he catches something the wing mirror. Parked behind him, a few metres away is a man just sat in him car staring at Rose's house. Curious Arthur steps out of his car to confront the man only for the guy to instantly drive away before Arthur can step up to the driver side door. He watches as the car speeds around the corner and out of sight. Shrugging in confusion Arthur hops back into the jeep and begins the drive home.

Arriving home, Rose realises that her bag, which contains her phone and wallet are all in her car, which is parked at the bar. Her grandmother welcomed her with a giant hug and bombarded her with questions about where she had been all night. Rose explains what happened in detail, telling her all about how Arthur had saved her. Eliza hadn't seen Arthur in a few years now, even in the small town they hadn't crossed paths in a while, whereas she often saw Tom when he came to the shop.

Reluctantly, Rose pulls herself up the stairs in a tired state. Taking a warm, quick shower Rose returns to her room to get dressed for work. After drying her long blond hair and putting on some light make-up she shrugs on a white vest top, with a cream coloured fluffy cardigan and some black leggings. Letting her hair down she goes to grab her phone only to realise its not there. Laughing at her forgetfulness, Rose journeys downstairs to say goodbye to her grandmother before leaving for work.

Only a twenty minute walk at most, she soon arrives at work. Greeted by the regulars and her colleagues she steps behind the bar and begins taking orders. A few hours go by and sure enough, Arthur walks in with his Dad, sitting on two empty stalls at the bar.

"Two beers please" Tom asks, catching Roses attention as she has her back to them.

Grinning from ear to ear, she begins to pour the two their drinks, sliding them down the bar.

"When do you finish tonight?" Arthur wonders.

"Eleven. Henry is letting me finish a few hours early" Rose replies, glancing back to the kitchen where Henry was helping make the food.

Rose continues to chat with the two as she works, dashing off every so often to take food out to the tables. The night goes on with Tom and Arthur getting very drunk in which Rose then insisted she drive them home as neither had been sensible enough to stay sober. At first Arthur said no and promised he could easily drive but after almost falling off the bar stool he then agreed. Tom states that he will pick the jeep up tomorrow when he is more sober. Soon enough the clock strike eleven but Rose carries on work for a few more minutes before asking Henry if she can go home.

Tom stumbles over to the toilets, Arthur following as he tries to keep his Dad standing up properly. The two bellow and laugh loudly in the lively bar. Rose notions that she will wait by the car for the two and quickly leaves the manic bar fully of drunken fishermen. Rose felt that taking the two of them home would show how grateful she is.

Digging her hands n her cardigan pockets she takes out her car keys, fumbling to get the right one. Suddenly a hand slams over her shoulder on to the roof of her car, startling her so that she almost drops her keeps from the manual look. Gasping for air, she stares at the hand the rest beside her head, knowing it doesn't belong to Arthur or Tom because of how pale the mans hand is and there is no evidence of any tattoos.