Chapter Three: Unbreakable

A few days have passed since Rose had first arrived in Amnesty Bay. She had managed to secure a small job working at the little bar by the dockyard, the one her grandfather always went to when he was alive. The man who owns the bar, Henry, had said he needed the extra help since all his children had gone off into the world and his wife left him many years ago for another man.

There are not many young people in Amnesty Bay.

So Rose started the following Friday night working behind the bar, pouring pints, cleaning tables and taking out the food from the kitchen. A sassy old lady named Marge rules the kitchen with an iron fist with the help of her son George. She makes the most delicious fish and chips, a pub classic. Of course Rose starts early just before the rush of fisherman and dockyard workers who pile into the bar after their long week.

Rose begins to think the whole town visits the pub on a Friday night after work as she can barely keep track of all the new faces, names and the amount of pints she has handed out. The night goes on with little to no incidences. The men holler loudly and chant in their drunken states, many of which complement the young new waitress on her beauty. Rose just smiles and takes the compliment as many mean no harm by it knowing full well that she would never go for them.

In the early hours of the morning, just after midnight, everyone is sent home so that the pub can close. Rose thanks Henry again for giving her a job, finding it helps distract her from her loss. Grabbing her bag and coat she heads to her car. Just as she is about to start the car, her phone rings with the display name reading 'NO CALLER ID'. Curious, Rose answers lifting the phone up to her ear.

"Hello" She says quickly, wondering who is on the other side and is calling her at this hour.

"Rose" A man replies in a husky, slurred voice sounding rather intoxicated like the men she had served beer earlier that shift.

Rose breathing hitches at the familiar voice of her ex-boyfriend Daryl.

"Daryl, how did you get my number? I told you if you contacted me again I would have to get the police involved" Rose states in a calm and relaxed tone.

"You think a restraining order is gonna stop me" Daryl chuckles on the other end of the phone.

"Daryl, I don't want it to get it to that. Just stop and leave me alone." Rose tells him, trying to be as civil as possible. She understood he was struggling with life, and didn't want to throw his chance at redemption away, especially after their two year relationship. She hoped that after they broke up he would get better and that they could fix their relationship... only he got worse.

"I ran into an old colleague of yours, Jessica? You remember her?" He questions.

After high school, Rose went to college and studied history and education in hopes of being a teacher one day. She got the opportunity to do a linked subject degree as many teachers teach more than one subject and so Rose sports, her second favourite subject. That's where she met Daryl, who was studying engineering. Once graduating, Rose managed to get a job as a teaching assistant at the local middle school but to help her get by she also became a personal trainer at the gym at the weekends. At the school she met Jessica, the teacher whose class she assisted with the most. Jessica reminded Rose a lot of her mother.

"Yes" Rose replies.

"Well, I didn't expect her to know we had issues with our relationship, you weren't that close. I just said we broke up and made her believe I wanted to fix things. I asked how you were doing but do you know what she told me Rose?" Daryl taunts her over the phone as he takes another gulp of vodka.