Chapter Six: Collide

The next day, in the early afternoon, Rose begins to stir awake. Tom had already left for the dockyard for his half day at work, leaving Arthur in charge of the lighthouse as well as the stranger recovering on the couch.

Rose mumbles under her breath, wondering why her head was hurting so much. She yawns, turning on her back and moving her hands out from under the covers to rest on her stomach. Slowly, her eyes peel open to stair at the ceiling. Rose feels unsettled by the unfamiliarity of her surroundings, as she lowers her eyes to look at herself. She finds herself on a couch, coated in thick blankets. The material covering her arms is not recognisable and so she lifts up the blanket to find herself dressed in someone else's pyjamas. Her breath hitches as she sits up, peering over the back of the couch to make sure no one else it here. Natural light pours into the warm, homely living room causing her to calm at little. Rose couldn't remember the other night and fears she has been taken by someone.

Standing up she remains silent, listening out for anyone who could also be in the house. Creeping up to the front door she reaches for the handle when she suddenly hears another door slam shut on the other side of the house. Panicking she turns and tries to open the door to no avail. It's locked. Heavy footsteps echo on the wooden floor, and in the corner of her eye she sees movement in the kitchen around the corner. Averting on her feet she runs back into the living room recalling a back door.

Arthurs ears perk up at the sound of feet scurrying around. He quirks an eyebrow and turns on the kettle. As it boils he decides to go an check on the woman with no name only to find the couch empty. Glancing to his right he sees the woman tugging at the handle of the back door. He can't help but smirk at her attempts, but then realises she probably thinks she has been abducted, especially if she can't remember her fall last night.

Rose sighs, turning around to see a man. The man who must own this house and be keeping her here. He is huge compared to her, even at a distance she feels intimidated. Rose eyes flicker to the fireplace recalling the fire iron set beside it. Arthur remains still not wanting to frighten her, but fails as he can see the undeniable fear in her eyes as she rushes to the fire place so that the couch is between them. Her breathing his heavy as she grabs the fire iron and wields it like a bat.

"Don't come any closer" She threatens, trying to act tough in front of the very gorgeous man. His skins is sun kissed and covered in very tribal tattoos. His jaw is sharped with a short beard and his long hair is pulled back out of his face and tied up. Arthur raises his hands up in surrender and steps back.

"Feisty, I like it but a thank you would be nice" Arthur suggests, shrugging his shoulder as he keeps his hands up in the air.

"What?" Rose questions him, glaring in anger to try a maintain her fierce attitude.

"I startled you on the rocks last night and you fell in and hit your head. I managed to pull you back to shore but you were unconscious. I thought it would be best to bring you back here to recover. I didn't mean to scare you, I mean no harm" Arthur explains, lowering his hands. A sudden realisation hits Rose as she puts the fire iron down back in it place and stares back at the mysterious man that had saved her.

"I'm sorry... I just panicked and thought..." She begins to stutter feeling guilty for assuming the worst.

"It's fine, I get it. Waking up in a strangers home, in different clothes, your head probably still hurts and some of the doors are locked. There not usually locked, they just happen to be today." Arthur states, forgiving her instantly.

"Were you the one that changed me?" Rose asks curiously, noting knowing if she really wants the answers.

"Mmm... yeah. I promise I avoiding looking and all that... it's just that your clothes were wet and you needed to get warm and dry. I washed you clothes, I'm sure there ready now" He mumbles feeling awkward at trying to answer her sensitive question.