Chapter Five: Reunited

The weather had forecasted a overnight summer storm arriving at Amnesty Bay early hours of Saturday morning. Tom paces around the house looking for his torch while shrugging on his raincoat.

"Arthur!" He yells upon hearing the loud sound of his son descending the stairs of the lighthouse.

Arthur had been checking the lighthouse to make sure the back up generator would be one in case the storm cut the normal electrics. Upon hearing his fathers voice, he rushes down the spiral stairs and enters the main house.

"Back up generator is all ready to go" Arthur says clapping and rubbing his hands together as he strides past his father and grands his own coat.

"Good" His father comments finally finding the torch he had been hunting for a small table by the window.

He grabs its, using his other hand to pull down his hat. Glancing up he catches his aging reflection in the window. Every morning he would have his coffee, gazing out of the window toward the pier which he could only just see and the ocean beyond it. After his coffee he would go out and stand at the end of the pier waiting for Atlanna, his one true love, to return to him so that they could be reunited.

Looking past his reflection he sees the darkened storm sky looming over. Thunder crackles and the clouds spark with lightning as a gentle rain pours down. Waves rolls aggressively towards the land, crashing up against the rocks. The lighthouse beam circles around, its light coming towards this side of the house. On full beam, the light could see through the storm. Tom's breathing hitches in his throat when he spots what appears to be a woman in the distance, standing on the edge of the rocky pier not to far down the beach. The light goes and he waits patiently for it come back around. The light captures the woman again, her long flowing blond hair is all that he could identify.

"Atlanna" He whispers under his breath as the light passes by her again.

"Dad?" Arthur calls moving to stand beside his father, who seems entranced by something.

"Atlanna... your mother has returned to us." Tom exclaim in disbelief, his eyes never leaving the figure in the distance.

"Dad, she'd dead... she hasn't come back" Arthur sighs, shaking his head as he gently pats his father on the shoulder, trying to pulling his way from the window.

"Look" His father states pointing out and into the distance.

Arthur quirks an eyebrow and shrugs his shoulders, not believing any person to be out in this stormy weather. Reluctantly, Arthur turns to follow his fathers finger and look out the window. At first he sees nothing but when the beam circles around, a small figure of a woman appears on the rocks that lead into the sea. His lips part as he moves to look more closely as the light comes around again and his time he sees the long blond hair blowing in the strong winds.

"It's her" Tom concludes, snatching the torch and moving past his son to get to the porch door.

"Dad, it's not her... it can't be her. I'll go. You stay here." Arthur insists rushing to stand in his fathers way.

"Ok" Tom agrees, shaking his head and passing his son the torch. Tom really wanted to go and see if it was really Atlanna but there is little chance he would get past his son, who only had good intentions. Arthur nods his head and goes to leave only to spot his father move towards the window again.

"I'll be back in a minute" Arthur tells his in a soft voice trying to reassure his father, who expresses worry and panic.

Arthur opens the door and is hit with the harsh winds and rain of the storm. Closing the door behind his, Arthur walks along the porch and towards the stairs that lead down to the pier as well as the side stair that take him to the shore. At the top he waits, standing under the porch light. He spots the woman again, seeing her more clearly now. Pushing his wet brown hair out of his face, he contemplates what to do.