Mission impossible - 19

Start from the beginning

Downstairs I informed Clemens about me staying away, he didn't know about the mate thing and I felt guilty for not telling him... but I just felt like keeping it a secret for now. I took my plate and decided to also take something for the men, they would be glued to the monitors for some time and probably didn't feel at home enough to help themselves to snacks.

"I know this is not the cinema, but I eat when my nerves are wrecked and..." I set down two bags, feeling slightly embarrassed. Two men started to spread fruits, nuts, chocolate bars and cucumbers on the table. "Cucumbers?" Jason rose an eyebrow "she likes them..." I shrugged "yeah, we do too" one man grinned, picked one up and took a bite. He grinned "it was so weird when I heard about it... but it's the greatest snack, I'm telling you". Two hours of waiting passed with the men sharing stories from training with her. It wasn't like the event for Tamail, it was relaxed and the atmosphere was surprisingly chill.

The men mostly had to stand and I quickly organized more chairs to be brought into the room for everyone to sit. We waited, every fifteen minutes we would hold our breath when the new pictures arrived. Nothing, nothing changed and we kept waiting. It was the sixth picture that showed a large group at one end of the island. "She ordered the plane to the other end" one man said, pointing to the location the plane was supposed to land. "Maybe those are not our men" Jason said, stepping closer.

It was impossible to decipher the people with the trees and clothing and the setting sun. "It'll be dark soon, the timing is perfect. The pilot can still see everything when landing and taking off, but will vanish in the night sky" the dark blond man commented. "So this is the distraction?" one asked but no one answered. No one knew here exact plan or how she planned to leave that Island if not by plane. "Maybe he had the diving equipment for the distraction and will make it into the plane" one suggested "maybe" one whispered.

We waited for the next update, the seconds dragging on for hours. I was chewing on a chocolate peanut bar, trying to distract myself when the monitor showed a different picture. The plane had arrived, floating on the water just below a small cliff as it seemed. A small group stood near the plane, crowded together, supporting one another while walking. There was fire on the other side of the island. The glow allowed us to see more than just shaded. Wolves gathered, others were still in human form, some holding shiny weapons and in their midst stood a wolf.

A wolf so large that even on the satellite image it looked surreal. Compared to the other wolves it towered over them, almost twice their size. The light from the fire gave the wolf a horrific glow, the fur red like liquid blood and the teeth shining in the orange glow. It looked like they were closing in on the wolf, on my mate. "I cannot believe it, the blood wolf" the men hushed "I've heard stories, but I thought they overestimated his size" the dark blond one said, stunned. We were all in shock looking at what was going on. "If the blood wolf is holding them off then she can flee with the others" a man said full of joy.

I looked around me, looking at the facing and saw relief in all of them but one, Jason. Did he know? Has he seen and lives to tell the tale? And if he knew... why was he keeping his mouth shut?

The next fifteen minutes didn't take as long to pass, everyone was more excited, rejoiced by the info as it looked like everyone would make it home. The picture showed no plane, the sun had set and darkness made it hard to see anything on the island. The fires were glowing slightly but had died down mostly, the blood wolf was nowhere in sight.

"Coming" a device suddenly said on the table. The hand of the closest man shot to it "yes" he spoke into it "we have successfully taken off, the first in command, the general and two other generals as well as eight soldiers are on board. Most of them need immediate medical care and will be transferred into the hospital near the airport on the coast" a male voice said "it the second in command on board?" the man asked, his voice scared already, because the man had not mentioned her.