The second in command - 1

In the midst of raging battle, comrades were falling down on my right and left, there it was, this sound. I thought my ears were at fault due to the growling, the gunfire, the noise surrounding me, but I heard it, again and again. "John" I called my second in command, he looked at me crouched behind a rock, holding his gun to his chest "you heard that?" I asked and pointed in the direction the sound came from. He nodded, giving me a questioning look. What now? His eyes were asking. "I must" I exclaimed and he nodded knowing me well, following me, always.

Twenty five years later

"John" I heard a rough voice exclaim, I was shocked by the disrespect. No one was to use my father's first name, he is our Alpha and was to be treated with respect. Who was this man to come to this meeting and be so rude? I was just going to get up and teach this man a lesson when my father laughed out and threw his arms around the man. "Daniel" he exclaimed and held him close for a while "how long has it been my friend?" he asked, holding this Daniel at arm length, looking at him "you haven't changed a bit" he then said, laughing and shaking his head in disbelief. "Training" the man just said and pulled away from my father, again being terribly rude. "You sure haven't changed" my father just laughed and then pointed to a chair at his right where the man sat down. He was as tall as my father, but his shoulders were a little broader, his chest more puffed out, his shirt tighter and his stance stronger it seemed. Who was this guy and why had it been so important for my father to have him join this Meeting?

"Marvin" my dad said and I turned to look at him "why are you standing there like that?" he asked and lifted one eyebrow. "I was going to teach this man some respect for the Alpha" I honestly answered. To my surprise I received a disapproving look from my father while the Daniel guy huffed amused. "Son, you don't seem to know who this is" my father said "this is Daniel McGrotment the Commander of the Star Warrior troops" he continued. The Star Warrior troops? They were a special force troop, there to protect our people from being discovered, they ended wars between packs before they grew too big to go unnoticed and they even sometimes involved themselves in human wars to bring an end to the deaths. They were the strongest, the most trained, the smartest and each and every one of them could single handed take down at least ten warriors. And this man, the man who was on first name basis with my dad was supposed to be their commander? I sat down while looking at the man. "Your dad and I fought in battle" he said in his dark voice, the tone rumbling from his chest. That explains why they are on first name basis I guess.

The meeting began soon after, all the important members of our pack were present. "We can't send the young warriors into patrols already! They are not nearly trained enough to survive an attack and what good are they other than bate?!" The Beta exclaimed, angry at someone else's idea. "We are more than capable" I said in a loud voice, feeling hurt in my pride to be called useless. A cough like laugh came from this Daniel man "not by the way I saw you fight in training" he turned to my father "I'm sorry John, but your peaceful way of life made you slack in training your young, you didn't do a very good job at that one" he said. To my utter shock dad didn't show this man to have more respect, but lowered his head in submission and shame. I couldn't believe it, this was enough! I jumped out of my chair and in one swift movement over the table to land right behind this man and show him some manners, he couldn't react as fast and as I came to a stand behind him, he hadn't moved and inch. "Don't you dare..." I was interrupted as he simply stretched back, punched my neck, gripped my shirt and with an incredible amount of energy pulled me over and smashed me on the table. I looked at him in shock, his mimic hadn't changed as his stone cold face looked at me "thank you for proofing my point" he said and turned to my father with a meaningful glance.

My dad sighed and closed his eyes, massaging his temple as a sign of stress. I shamefully rolled off the table and sat back down. I couldn't believe the strength of that man, there was obviously a reason for him to be such a high ranked man. "So what can we do? We lost a lot of good warriors in our last battle with the neighbouring pack and it can very well be they attack again. They know of our weaknesses and might use the situation to take land from us. We have no way to stop them if we don't rapidly increase our strength" a man from the warrior chamber said. It stayed quiet for way too long. So quiet. No one had an idea, no one dared to speak up and the silence became almost loud. "Daniel, I know it's much to ask, but if you were to stay here... it would hold them off so we..." but he broke my dad off by shaking his head "I'm sorry my friend, but I have two new groups who just came out of training and need to be integrated, I can't" he said, his eyes not showing a sign of his expressed sorrow.