Lifting the veil - 8

I woke up due to my alarm at twenty past four, giving me enough time to get ready and snack before making my way into the gym. I was glad to not have dreamed this night and feeling refreshed. The memory of my plans to change my behaviour were crisp in my mind as I entered the gym. Tae had her back to us, talking to a group of men from my pack. They nodded and walked off just as I came into range to listen to what they were saying. Tae turned around and I was not surprised to find her wearing the same she had worn in the evening. Grey was the perfect colour to go unseen in the dark. The night was never really pitch black which caused grey to be the best cover, she obviously knew that. Tae waited until the last one had walked into our row, yawning. She nodded and started jogging off, using the usual path and leaving us to pick of chalk if redeemed necessary and follow her.

Her steps were as sturdy as always, her speed quick though not a sprint. I wondered if she had slept at all this night. Hey Alpha Clemens jogged up to me, telling me with his mind to not break his pattern of breathing what is up with you? he asked, you seem... changed he added, only to the better Clemens, I decided to grow up, it was high time I told him, feeling free to talk openly with my friend. He nodded I'll be at your side he told me. I was glad to have such a trustworthy Beta to be at my side, to train with him and one day lead this pack like our fathers do. She made quite an impression on you, didn't she? he asked, glancing at me, curiosity shining in his eyes. She's worked hard to be who she is I told him and I respect that now. We continued running, me falling back to check on Jonathan again who had yet to learn to properly run long distances. The forest was quiet, our steps echoing through the trees and I took a big breath of the fresh morning air. Never in my life had I thought waking up this early to train would be this energizing.

We continued where we left off, me staying in my human form for now. The guys were sparing in different courts and Tae got me to supervise two of them, making sure no one got hurt. "I don't think I can stop them like you if something happens" I told her honestly, being scared to be responsible for someone getting hurt "but you're their Alpha" she said not looking at me as she walked by. "I am" I whispered, preparing myself to step up my game as I promised myself I would.
The fights in my fields were fair and gave me no reason to break them up though I saw Tae step in multiple times to correct some form of technique.
We rotated the fields to give everyone the chance to be corrected by her and experience different opponents. I used the rotation time to glance at Tae, searching for a sign of her being tired or exhausted, but she looked as stern as always. I was fascinated by the sheer amount of energy she seemed to possess. She ended our training at ten past twelve, giving us some time before lunch at half past. "Come back at three" she said, giving us some free time. Why is she giving us more time? Erik asked as he pulled down his shirt Maybe she wants to take a nap Clemens said, having found out she had the night shift. I shrugged, wanting to take her decision without hesitation. Tae took a bottle of water out of one of the lockers, surprising me. I had never seen her drink in our short breaks. Would she take down the fabric like last night? I watched her closely as she turned and left to stroll into the forest instead of walking into the house with us. "I still wonder what's up with that face cover thing" Mark said, breaking me out of my trance "I guess she has some kind of huge scar from a battle" he shrugged. "She hasn't" I corrected and earned stares from my team "I saw her last night, she was eating outside, her face looked perfectly fine" I told them, leaving my dad out of the story.

"Weird, I could have sworn it was a battle scar, would suit her" Mark continued to talk about her army character as we made our way to the kitchen and dining area. As he started to talk about relationships and being bossy and what a poor guy her mate might be, I felt the need to interrupt him "Hey Mark" I said "it is not your place to talk about the second in command like that" I said, my voice stern, not allowing him to retort anything back. "Yes Alpha" he only said. I had a weird feeling thinking about her mate and felt a growl rise to the surface as I thought about her being mates with someone. Ignoring the weird reaction, guessing it was up to Rumulus who was being weird again, I continued thinking about what male could possibly survive at her side. I remembered then how I listened to Daniel and my dad talk, he said she didn't want a mate or something like that. Who would not want a mate? It's not like choosing a partner for an ordinary relationship. Finding a mate meant finding the one partner for life, having an instant bond after the first touch, sharing emotions and a certain amount of mind space.
Having a mate meant having someone in life who fully understood, who would always have your back and would do anything to please you and see you happy. Having a mate meant putting them before yourself. I couldn't wait to find my mate, to hold her in my arms, to wake up next to her every day and do everything in my power to keep her safe and happy. She will in return keep me mentally at bay, helping Rumulus to calm down with just one touch, allowing me to be strong and weak when around her. She will never judge me, but love me unconditionally. My heart was aching thinking about her. I knew she was out there, I had smelled her and knew of her existence. But why didn't she smell me? Why did she not come and find me? Maybe she thought my pack would endanger her? But she must know her mate would protect her come what might.