10. Judgement Day

"And God knows,

That it's a common misconception

that I'm the only one for you."

    ◘ ◘ ◘  

The next two weeks passed by in a blur, filled with study sessions with Em behind the library, annoying her moody fiancé and going on more dates with Jake. It was a rather peaceful week, since two of the Royals were missing in action. From what I've heard from Emily, Logan was in America shooting a car advert while Robin was in Dubai to settle some company issues.

Life as a busy business man while still trying to complete high school must be hard.

Anyways, Jake kept me pretty occupied for the two weeks, taking me out for movies and coffee dates. However, I have to admit that life was significantly less exciting without the Royals.

Anyways, we spoke on the phone almost every night about anything and everything, and he would never hang up until I fell asleep, which was pretty romantic, right? Of course, it's romantic!

I just hope I didn't snore while on the phone with him. That would be horrifying.

A smile made way to my face as I thought about Jake. But then I remembered the reason why I was sitting here, in the café, opposite of Jake. Both of us clutched warm mugs in our hands, none of us talking.

We froze at the jingle of the bell when the door was pushed open, and grew rigid when a familiar blonde head appeared.

"Hey, Emily," I greeted, shooting a comforting look at Jake. Emily smiled, giving Jake a critical once-over as he squirmed in his seat.

That's right, ladies and gents, today was Judgement Day. The day your best friend meets the boy you've been dating. The day your best friend decides whether or not she likes him. If she does, both of you are in luck because she'll be really encouraging and will use her best friend powers to push the relationship forward. If she doesn't, she'll probably make dating you a living hell.

"Jake, this is Emily. Emily, this is Jake," I introduced quickly. As if the both of them didn't already know that.

"Nice to meet you," Emily chirped, offering a hand out to him. Almost hesitantly, Jake shook her hand and offered her a shy smile.

"You too," he said. I smiled brightly at the both of them, beckoning Emily to sit down beside me.

"So," I began, awkwardly crossing my legs.

"So," Jake repeated, sipping his drink. He refused to make eye contact with either one of us. Emily coughed.

"So are you interested in her, Jake?" Emily asked causally, but Jake almost started choking on his latte. His eyes widened and his face turned red as he patted his chest lightly.

He cleared his throat and nodded, "Yes."

"That's great!" Emily beamed, nudging me slightly. I laughed nervously, "Yeah, great."

Jake looked between the both of us, before setting his mug down.

"Please, just give us your blessings," he pleaded, grabbing Emily's hand in his. Emily's jaw dropped, and she opened and closed her mouth like a gold fish.

"Jake," I said softly, biting my lip. "You don't have to do this." Students around us were staring at us weirdly, and my cheeks heated up in embarrassment. My god, Jake was being so dramatic!