3. Barbies and Kens

"Uh oh, where can I go?

Everybody's watching me.

I go through all the trouble

of keeping it within my walls;

I try to be as subtle as I can."

     ◘ ◘ ◘ 

"Let me get this straight. Your engagement to Asher Dane is a business ploy?" I said, summing up everything Emily had just told me into one single statement. Emily chuckled nervously and tucked a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear. We sat in the middle of the beautiful park in front of the school, where students enjoyed sitting on the freshly-cut grass and chatting with their friends, playing Frisbee and even painting. It was a few days after I discovered about their engagement, and I managed to wring out small bits and pieces of the entire story from Emily but today, she finally told me everything.

"Yes?" She answered, almost as if she herself was unsure. "Okay, I've told you that my parents own banks, and so does Asher's parents. They want to merge the two companies together because that way they can stay at the top. Does this make sense? I feel like it doesn't make sense. Oh god, am I rambling again?"

"Emily, calm down! Deep breaths," I hurriedly said, rubbing her back to get her to relax. She tended to ramble when she got too excited or nervous, and every time she does it I get worried she'll talk the breath out of her lungs and collapse. It's that intense.

Emily took a few deep breaths and calmed herself down, fanning herself with her dainty manicured hand.

"Alright, better?" I asked, and she nodded. Suddenly, she groaned loudly and buried her face in her hands.

"I don't want to get married. Especially not to someone I don't even love!" Emily's exclamation came out muffled, but I could still clearly hear what she said. For once, being wealthy didn't seem so fortunate.

"Why don't you tell your parents?" I suggested softly, patting her back. She shook her head.

"I can't let them down like that. This is their legacy. I'm continuing their hard work by doing this. There's no other way my family's company can thrive more, unless they merge with Dane Corps.," Emily sighed, looking dejectedly at her feet.

"Is this engagement thing made known public?" I asked curiously after some silence. Emily shook her head slightly.

"Not yet. Right now, Asher's parents and mine want us to 'date'. Or publicise ourselves. Make the world think that we are really dating," Emily muttered. Is that why Asher asked her to meet him in his room the other day? To perhaps discuss their engagement?

"But what about this?" I asked, pointing to the grey cardigan she was wearing. Immediately after I pointed it out, Emily turned a bright pink.

"He lent it to me last night. We were out and it was cold," Emily explained quietly, absentmindedly fingering the soft grey wool.

"Why are you still wearing it, if you didn't like him?" I decided to ask, pushing my limits. Emily cringed after I asked the question, and I was about to take it back before she opened her mouth to speak.

"I'm confused, Lexi. And scared. Sometimes when we're alone, he's really sweet. But other times...," she drifted off, staring at the rustling trees in front of us. Emily didn't need to elaborate further.

"Seriously? Is everyone in this blasted Academy blind or what?" He cursed, narrowing his eyes at Emily. She bowed her head, "Sorry."

"For the last time, sorry doesn't cut it. Especially when it comes from you, Emily."